Author Topic: Performance of the PMR-30  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Camba

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Performance of the PMR-30
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:02:38 AM »
I had been waiting for this pistol for quite some time and I still had not seen one at the local stores yet.  While searching on the WEB for info. on this pistol, I stumbled into this link that has some videos with shooting test in the PMR-30 and the full auto submachine gun PMR-30.  I believe that I may have reinforced my resolve to have one (PMR-30 pist that is).

Enjoy it.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/kel-tec-22-magnum-pmr-30/

Camba

Offline Camba

• Contributor
Re: Performance of the PMR-30
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
Did anyone get one yet?  Does it shoot as good as they make it look in the videos?

Camba

Offline Camba

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
I tried to order one yesterday and I was told thet there is 1.5 years of waiting for this pistol.  I guess I will just buy something else in the mean time and wait for the lucky ones report when they get it.

Camba

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »
I've been watching for it too.  Listed several places but all allocated.  Makes me wonder if they are running into last minute production issues.  I think they were to ship in July or August originally, but Davidson's at least hasn't ever had them yet.  Course I'm still waiting to check out the new 995 .45 acp carbine by Hi Point too.  8(
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline navylawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:17:24 AM »
I have seen a couple of them on gunbroker but they are going for at least twice the msrp. Probably because of the backup. Don't need one that bad. I guess I will wait too.

Navylawdog

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:44:32 AM »
The only use I would have for a .22 pistol is small game and varmint hunting which calls for a single accurate shot. I noticed they did no accuracy testing, just spray and pray even with the semi-auto version. It seems like most people are interested in the 30 shot magazine which holds no appeal to me at all. Unless it can hold five shot groups of no worse than 2" at 25 yards it's just another silly toy to me.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:56:16 AM »
Those things are expensive.  You may also want to check Budsgunshop.com.  I think I saw one on there, but I had to type it in and search for it and not use their built in search.  The appeal of it to me anyway is the 30rd magazine.

Offline Camba

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
The 30 rnd magazzine also appeals to me as the only reason to get one.  I would had prefer the same set up but with the 22LR (read cost savings) for rapid fire plinkings and ocasionally target shooting (informal).

I hate when manufacturers over promise products that they can't deliver.
I hope Kel-tec delivers soon so I can get one; but for now, I had "allocated" my hard earned cash to get another gun instead.

Camba

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
I also wish it was in 22lr, but I've never held a kel-tec that gave me an overwhelming sense of confidence in it's quality either.  These are going to be a hard sell for over $400.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »
I might consider one if they prove to be accurate, and dependable, which are two requirements that should be considered first when paying the kind of cash they are demanding for them now, but when they aren't proven, and there are so few out there, they are way over priced in my opinion.
It would be wise to wait a couple years and see how they are holding up!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline T.J. McSuds

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 04:56:54 AM »
I saw and handled one 3 weeks ago at Ozark Armory in Springdale, AR.  I did not get to shoot it. First impression was how light and how light the slide spring was. It looks odd but it came with 2 mags for just under $400.  I would take a chance.
T.J. McSuds
 SASS, IDPA,NRA,VFW,GOA, BOLD,Warthog

Offline Camba

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
I was quoted one for $348.00 but the waiting to get one was 1.5 year.  If I find one at that price, I will bring it home; but I would not wait 1.5 years or pay $650 as others are selling them.

Camba

Offline bubbaturbo

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
How in the world can anybody predict a 1.5 year wait for a gun? (At least with a straight face.)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 06:07:53 AM »
I might consider one if they prove to be accurate, and dependable, which are two requirements that should be considered first when paying the kind of cash they are demanding for them now, but when they aren't proven, and there are so few out there, they are way over priced in my opinion.
It would be wise to wait a couple years and see how they are holding up!
My thoughts exactly! It might be cool to be the first kid on the block to have this new toy but you run the risk of being the first kid on the block to discover that the PMR is a POS, Kel-Tec has built some of those you know.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Seabee hunter

• "All gave some, but some gave all for you"
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 03:41:13 AM »
I fired one at A&P arms in va beach. curiousity was killing me. its pretty accurate but not very concealable. Would be a great plinking gun to carry in the woods though. Averaged 2-3"  5 shot group's  battle zero target. Cool pistol. cant find them for anything near list though.at 25 meters. I even fired it at 35 m and kept them all in the ring of a 100yd

Offline Seabee hunter

• "All gave some, but some gave all for you"
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 03:43:07 AM »
I lost the end of my last post, i meant it was still in the ring of a 100m battle zero target at 35m. Sorry about that.

Offline JohnJ

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »
I was in my local gun dealer, friend of mine, and I asked if he had one of the PMR 30. He grinned and pulled out
a box and there was the 22 mag I have been waiting on. 
My first reaction was how light it was and then the trigger pull had to be about 2-3 lbs and very crisp.
I paid $385 for it and have put about seventy five round thru it. One draw back is after I load 23 rounds or
so it is hard for me to stuff more into the mag. The sites are easy me to see with these old eyes and I like the
safty on both sides of the gun.

Offline stolivar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »
Love mine. shoots everything I put in it. very accurate and reliable.

steve

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 02:34:29 AM »
I am on the notify list at Buds for one. According to KelTec's site they had some issues with getting barrels hardened for them and should be back up to full production this month. But that is only 500 guns a month.  I am wanting one for shooting steal pop-ups. The 3AT was hard to get at first also and they are plentiful.

Doug

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
I'm still waiting for one...................I'll be too old to shoot it seems B4  I find one.............

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
I am on the notify list at Buds for one.

I'd look around a little bit before just buying from Buds.  Don't get me wrong, I love that place and have bought many guns from them but here lately their prices haven't been as competitive as they once were.

Offline Camba

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
I finally saw one at a gun store where I had purchased guns recently.  The gun seems so light that it feels like one of my air soft pistols.  I like it though and I am going to get one soon.  I will definitely not buy it from my friendly gun store this time.  They are asking $459 plus tax for this one and what is ironic, they sell 3rd gen Glocks almost in the same gun counter at $429 plus tax.  I think that unless someone is desperate to get one of the PLR-30 from this store, the store owner is going to sit with it for a looooong tme.

Kel-Tec has begun full production and soon every store will have one.  I will just wait a little longer.

I wish Kel-Tec would sell a 22LR swap barrell conversion with a 30 round 22LR magazine.  That would make it even more interesting because I do like the 22 mag but the 22LR would help in the pocket book for practice.

Camba

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 02:25:45 AM »
Big brother finally got his. It has very good ergonomics, very shooter friendly. I was able to hit
quite well immediately, very impressive!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »
I'd look around a little bit before just buying from Buds

I do, but to be put on a waiting list for a $385 gun no one has is a no brainer.
More than likely they will put them on auction if more show up.

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »
Got to hold one today at one of my favorite stores (Pawn Shop). LOL.  Anyway, I was not impressed.  I did not like the way it felt.  The grip is sorta triangular in shape. Just didn't fit my hand well.  It was very light.  I realize that with a full mag, it would weigh more, but I would expect some muzzle flip as the magazine empties.  The grip also was slick.  The pattern in the grip did not really give anything for the hand to get a grip on.  This could be a problem in the summer time iffin your hands are sweaty.  I know that 30 round magazine sounds impressive and it is.  It is a great selling point for the pistol. 

I was not able to shoot the gun, but first impressions to me, mean a lot.  To top it off, I asked the price and immediately was shocked.  The owner of the shop giggled and turned his head.  The manager said $549.00.  I turned and walked out the door.  Some one will probably buy it at that price too.  It just won't be me. 

Draw a fine bead on em Son!  Bobby

Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »
Got to hold one today at one of my favorite stores (Pawn Shop). LOL.  Anyway, I was not impressed.  I did not like the way it felt.  The grip is sorta triangular in shape. Just didn't fit my hand well.  It was very light.  I realize that with a full mag, it would weigh more, but I would expect some muzzle flip as the magazine empties.  The grip also was slick.  The pattern in the grip did not really give anything for the hand to get a grip on.  This could be a problem in the summer time iffin your hands are sweaty.  I know that 30 round magazine sounds impressive and it is.  It is a great selling point for the pistol. 

I was not able to shoot the gun, but first impressions to me, mean a lot.  To top it off, I asked the price and immediately was shocked.  The owner of the shop giggled and turned his head.  The manager said $549.00.  I turned and walked out the door.  Some one will probably buy it at that price too.  It just won't be me. 

Draw a fine bead on em Son!  Bobby

I don't like scalpers, I would have left too.

Concerning the weight, the loaded clip feels as heavy as the rest of the gun. As far as muzzle flip when it gets near empty, I did not notice, maybe I was having too much fun. But that might be a factor for a small Woman or child with smaller wrists or weaker forearms. It was VERY controllable. 
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 05:22:19 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!