Author Topic: cannon ball  (Read 1658 times)

Offline mostlyred

• Trade Count: (0)
cannon ball
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
there one at auction near me ...it is about softball size maybe a tad bigger...it is pretty heavy....in a recessed circle it looked like either 1 1/2 or maybe 4 1/2 :-\
  is there much value in them? if its not cannon ball what else would it be fore? looks to be old..with the rusty patina and rough casting...any thoughts and suggestion of the value and collectability...one more thing where a am assuming where   the fuse hole is nickel size hole appears to be filled with cement..i didnt want to be scrathching in this thing ,not without some kind of expert looking at it first thanks

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: cannon ball
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
mostlyred  --

WELCOME to the board!

Pictures would help.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline mostlyred

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
 thanks for the welcome... didnt have camera with me  :( ;.. i just actually came across this site while trying to google something about cannon balls...i made a small cannon some many years back... will get it out and get a pic for the forum here.... after what i am seeing here has really sparked my interest again ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
Yup MR -

It's an additiction.  We'd love to see it  --  and pics of smoke and flame too!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:04:40 PM »
that is a 12 lb shell,  with wooden fuse, the Potassium Nitrate fuse. I owned two 12 and still have one 24 lb shell,  i sold the 12 lb shells for 150 dollars. that about there value if rough condition, unless it is a POLYGONAL cavity shell, then its worth alot more,  alot.    but you will never know unless you remove the fuse. or cut the shell in half.   has it been disarmed?? if not, then its not a problem,  there a a fellow collector in winchester that only charges like 40 dollars to drill and disarm the shell,   he is very good. i will try to get a pic up here of my 24 lb shell, the wood fuse means it is early war or confederate shell. no way to know. 

rick bryan

the fuse will look like concrete untill you scratch it. then you will see its like plaster.

Offline mostlyred

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »
THANKS RAMPA  you kinda gotme worried..could this thing actually be loaded and unsafe even to transport?

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:29:09 PM »
well, it is stable, and that is the most important part.   is it safe?? yes,    is it illegal?? yes,  but everything is,  keep it out of a fire and you will be fine.   and  2 out of 3 of my balls had powder that would not light, but my 24lb shell, could have gone off.    I would not be scared of it at all.  i would be very confortable paying 150 sight un seen,   a 12lb ball should be 4.5 in.  they undersize the rounds for the 4.62 bore guns. 

rick bryan      go for  it if the price donesnt get above 300

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »
If it is real then any place from 100-300 for a price, google and see if you can find anything close.

It could also be a 6 lb from an ames smoothbore, they are 3.67" dia
The are solid and fuse. Could be a borgman fuse or a wood.

Make sure what you are seeing is a fuse, some shotput balls look like a cannon ball.

Is the outside real smooth? most all the cannon balls I got are pitted good, every fake I have seen is smooth and slick.

If I have time I will get some pic of 5-6 I got in that size range.
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
OK.  It is or isn't a cannon ball.  When you see it next you've got a little bit more info to flip that coin.

If it is, and if it's still loaded with black powder, understand a couple of things.

First is safety.  Well worth the expense to have someone else risk blowing THEIR head off when disarming it.  It happens every year or two, even by very experienced folks.  There are threads posted here about some of them of recent.

Second is legality.  keep it legal.   ;)  It's not worth spending hard time for a lousy cannonball.  There is a limit to the amount of powder that puts it out of the firecracker class and into a destructive device.  It's a really small amount.

I, and several others here, shudder at what we got away with as teenagers.  There were several years that I KNEW that I'd never live to see 21.   :o

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
there one at auction near me ...it is about softball size maybe a tad bigger...it is pretty heavy....in a recessed circle it looked like either 1 1/2 or maybe 4 1/2 :-\
  is there much value in them? if its not cannon ball what else would it be fore? looks to be old..with the rusty patina and rough casting...any thoughts and suggestion of the value and collectability...one more thing where a am assuming where   the fuse hole is nickel size hole appears to be filled with cement..i didnt want to be scrathching in this thing ,not without some kind of expert looking at it first thanks

I think some are confusing the recessed circle with a Boreman fuse..... If the numbers are cast into it I would say it is a sure bet it's a shot put.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »
OK.  It is or isn't a cannon ball.  When you see it next you've got a little bit more info to flip that coin.

If it is, and if it's still loaded with black powder, understand a couple of things.

First is safety.  Well worth the expense to have someone else risk blowing THEIR head off when disarming it.  It happens every year or two, even by very experienced folks.  There are threads posted here about some of them of recent.

Second is legality.  keep it legal.   ;)  It's not worth spending hard time for a lousy cannonball.  There is a limit to the amount of powder that puts it out of the firecracker class and into a destructive device.  It's a really small amount.

I, and several others here, shudder at what we got away with as teenagers.  There were several years that I KNEW that I'd never live to see 21.   :o

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353998,00.html

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,138454.0/nowap.html

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline mostlyred

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
here are a couple pics of the so called cannon ball in question...

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »
I have never seen a cannon ball like that in any reference, museum, or show.  With a number on it like that I would guess that it might be a shot put.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
Old timers here onthe board help me...I think we have had one of these posted before...I believe it it is a counterweight....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
I'd guess a shotput as well.  Hmmm.  Maybe a 12 lb candlepin bowling ball?  :o
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired