Author Topic: 357 Rossi single?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline colonelsanders

• Trade Count: (5)
357 Rossi single?
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
Have any of you guys seen a 357 Single shot for sale in the recent past?  I have been searching the net and local and non local shops for one, and found nothin.  I got a handi and could send in for a 357 barrel, but for that caliber I want the lighter Rossi rifle to pack around.  I'd even buy just a barrel if I could find one.  Any help is appreciated!!
Colonelsanders

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 357 Rossi single?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
Have any of you guys seen a 357 Single shot for sale in the recent past?  I have been searching the net and local and non local shops for one, and found nothin.  I got a handi and could send in for a 357 barrel, but for that caliber I want the lighter Rossi rifle to pack around.  I'd even buy just a barrel if I could find one.  Any help is appreciated!!
Colonelsanders

I believe for 2011 the Wizard is available in .357. Also, iffin I remember correctly, with a Handi,  unlike their other barrels, I think the .357 barrel(and the .44 barrel) will only  fit that caliber specific receiver.

Check it out........http://www.rossiusa.com/2010catalog/?catalog_page=5
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
Also, iffin I remember correctly, with a Handi,  unlike their other barrels, I think the .357 barrel(and the .44 barrel) will only  fit that caliber specific receiver.

The problem with the Handi in .357 and .44 mag is not that they won't fit on the receiver, it's that rifles shipped in these calibers are built on the weaker SB-1 shotgun frame.  This means that if you buy a rifle in .357 or .44, adding a high pressure rifle barrel later (i.e. a 30-06) is out of the question.  Shotgun barrels are OK.

The important point is that nothing prevents you from adding a .357 or .44 mag barrel to a high pressure SB-2 frame
.  Just have to send it in to be fitted.  It's adding high power rifle barrels to the SB-1 frames that doesn't work.
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
Just IMHO, the most dissapointing thing (to me) about the Handi's in .357 is that the new ones don't have iron sights.  It's scope rail only.  Now I'm a scope guy at heart - I even have a scope on my Marlin 336 - but a .357 Single Shot just doesn't seem right without iron sights.  I could live with it being on the shotgun frame (I don't like switching barrels anyways).

Offline retmech

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
About 5-6 years ago Rossi made a single shot in .357 and it was built on the Rossi .410 shotgun frame and I owned one.  It shot pretty well and was a handy little rifle, just a little over 5 lbs.  I sold it to a friend of mine when I bought a Rossi 92 lever gun

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
I bought my Rossi .357 about 8 or 9 years ago (new).  I've never seen another one, new or used, on a GS rack nor at any gunshow.  They are slimmer and a little lighter than an H&R.

Sorry, it's too much fun to consider selling!

Have you looked into one of the Talo Trapper models?  They come with a short barrel on the H&R frame.  Not sure who sells them, but someone here or on the H&R forum can surely point you in the right direction.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
I can't remember how long I've had mine, I'm thinking at least 8-9 years maybe 10. It's a great brush gun. It wears a fixed 4x scope and shoots winchester white box 125gr JSP to about 1 1/4" at 100yards. have taken many deer with it. My longest shot with it was 134 yards. Double lunged a spike horn and blew out his drivers side shoulder. He went down where I shot him.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga