Author Topic: Magnum cases with special loads ?  (Read 544 times)

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
Magnum cases with special loads ?
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:53:35 AM »
After all these years of loading , I feel I should already know this....but...  Can I use mag cases ( 44 or 357 ) for loading the 44 special or 38 special ? Guess , what I'm really asking is , will I lose the accuracy due to the additional case length ?  Using the mag cases I'd lose the bullet jump also , correct ?  This would illuminate the powder ring inside the cylinder, correct ?  I'm planning on trying some RedDot under a 240 gr. SWC ( a 44 special load ) in my 44 mag Redhawk. 

thanks for your thoughts

regards , irold

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Magnum cases with special loads ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »
You'll lose a little bit of velocity because the chamber pressure will be lower and the duration of the peak pressure shorter, but they will safely work.  My lead bullet .357 loads are exactly the same as .38spl loads and they shoot great. 

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:07:35 AM »
You do understand that the mag cases are longer than the special cases?
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:19:44 AM »
Helotaxi ,   Yea, I understand .  I was thinking it should work ok.  thanks , irold

Old fart,  Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I  do not own a "44 special "  or a  "38 special" revolver.  All I own are the mags, whether its 357 or 44.  But instead of loading down a particular mag load....why not just use the special loads in the mag cases, hence no fouling ring inside the cylinder, less bullet jump from case to forcing cone.  Same as using 45 C loads in my 454 cases.  That's getting into other issues also.
Thanks
irold

Offline blpenn66502

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
Did the same with my 357.  With a 150gr W/C and identical seating depths and powder charge, the 357 chrono'd around 3.5% slower than the 38 spc.  YMMV

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
I load reduced loads in my 357 and 44 using magnum cases all the time.   If you look in your loading manual there are always lower velocity loads as well as "cowboy" loads you can use in your magnum cases.   It is best to use LSWC or other lead bullets though to eliminate the chance of jacket seperation.  I hardly ever shoot full power loads out of either of my guns.  Why put your gun through the extra wear just to shoot paper targets.   I do occasionally shoot a cylinder or two of full power loads to stay in practice and I hunt exclusivly with full power loads.  But for target practice and plinking its reduced LSWC loads.
Just my $.02.
Tony212

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »
ditto what tony posted

many years ago I broke one of the small bones in the back of my shooting hand, and wanted some xtra light loads for my .44 mag.  IMR and Winchester/Olin had published data for reduced loads using speer lead swaged bullets. I'd search for that data first, the lower pressure of using spcl loads in mag cases could stick a jacketed bullet in the bore.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »
If memory serves, there's only about 1/10" difference in case length between the special and mag cases.  If your bullet shape will allow seating to the same OAL, you could use the same loads in the mag cases and it should be identical in velocity, pressure, etc. to those loads in the special cases (since you would have the same case volume "under the bullet" so to speak).
Aim small, miss small!!!