Author Topic: Chavonnes Battery, Cape Town, South Africa  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Chavonnes Battery, Cape Town, South Africa
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
This is a pretty interesting site; after you open the link, check out the menu, especially the 'Gallery' and 'The Museum'.

http://www.chavonnesmuseum.co.za/index.html

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Chavonnes Battery, Cape Town, South Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »
Cool site dude!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »
This early (completed in 1726) Dutch East India Company (VOC) fortified outpost on the coast of S. Africa has an interesting history. I'm glad the that contemporary Capetonians decided in 1999 to preserve and commemorate that history.
I know that we had a couple members from South Africa; didn't someone hail from Cape town?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:47:15 AM »
yeah it was someone who called himself CC or EE or something like that
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »
One of the SA members is PM Fourie (he was last active in Sept.), but I can't recall the other; if memory serves me, along with an interest in artillery he was also into handcrafting custom knives. This thread was just burning up wires on the board, so I thought I'd add a few more pics. :) :D ;D

flickr from YAHOO                                                                        Photo by joburg

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons    I think it's novel how they constructed the new building around the excavated ruins of the battery.