Author Topic: golfball mortar shoot.  (Read 1478 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
golfball mortar shoot.
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »
well i am hosting a golf ball mortar shoot this weekend. on saturday. i think there will be about 12 golfball mortars shooting at 75 yards.  so i am glad i am picking up 400 golf balls tommorow.  i love craigs list.  got to keep everybodys gun fed with balls.   I am going to put a pole out at 75 yards,  and who ever gets the closest ball whens a great food lion plastic bag.   it just so happen i left a 12 pack of beer in it.  that way theres no legal problems.  lol 

I will post some pics when i get back.

rick bryan

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: golfball mortar shoot.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Eastern Shore Golf-ball Mortar Shoot Par 3 Open?

Sounds like lots of fun - great event for introducing it to others too!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:39:03 AM »
yes,  we i host the first shoot of the year for the n-ssa. in capron va. and just before or just after the full scale mortar shoot we will shoot the golfballs.  I think it will be a hoot.    everyone get so serious over the big boys that this will calm them all down.  and make them remember why they started shooting mortars to begin with.
  i know that i have had to step back and look around when i was not doing as well as i thought i should have. you can get blinded by the medals. 

rick bryan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
been trying to get ahold of kabar2,   anyone heard from him?  i know he wanted to come, hope he is doing ok,

rick bryan

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:23:45 AM »
Well I made my way up to Capron Virginia yesterday and had a nice visit with Rick and another fellow I know from another gun board.... it's funny on these hobbies are interconnected, I watched some fellows in grey shooting in team carbine matches and ya know I didn't see one blue belly team at this event.....
After the smoke cleared it was time for the little un's to be heard GOLF BALL MORTARS! the competitors from teenager's to folks in their 50's -maybe 60's the target was a 55 gallon drum set at 50 yards most of the shooters were using copies of the based on the confederate  24 pound mortar made by rick one competitor was the proud owner of one of Dom Carpenter's "Dictators" ten rounds were fired and the closest to the barrel won 50 pounds of lead, competition was high spirited and a few shooters in their excitement to get their golf balls down range forgot to drop the ball down the tube ..... upon lighting the fuse there would be an embarrassing Frupppp as powder burned and nothing left the tube but smoke! The owner of the Dictator over charged one or two balls.... one split in half and I found the other in my back yard in Chesapeake ::)  In the end it was one of the young un's who walked away with the win and the lead from the looks of things everyone had fun and there are now a few more golf ball mortar men and Ladies then there were before the shoot. I'll add some photo's later as soon as I sort out my other computer it looks like it caught a nasty bug..... I want to also mention I am the owner of one of Ricks mortar tubes and in the next week or so I'll be posting photo's as soon as I make a bed for it.

After the Golfball mortars were finished I witnessed 5 teams with the 24 pound mortars take the field at 100 yards colored stakes were placed and the object was to get as close as possible to their stake each team took time to level and sight their mortar I witnessed some fine shooting these teams were good at what they did and I think at least two teams had balls right up against the stakes.... if this had been the 1860's there would be some cleared trenches on the Union side with the accuracy witnessed in this event.

Once the mortars left the field rick and company had some fun..... a bucket was set at 50 yards and they set about to hit it with his seacoast gun he had built,
laying behind it and sighting it tended to send the shots to the right missing the target one of the fellow observing from 20 ft back volunteered to sight it he directed rick on which way to move the gun and once layed it hit it's intended target to show this wasn't luck he sighted the little cannon the same way and
again it struck it's mark from then on rick would walk back aways and sight it once satisfied on the position the little cannon was fired and hit the mark.
other cannon there was a Dom Carpenter swivel gun and several Gonnes now I don't want Dom to get a big head but people were hitting the bucket with
the gonnes at 50 yards! Another novel item was one of Dom's cannon canes in 44 Caliber which when fired gave a satisfying bang.

When all was over and the sun was setting I was invited to dinner where we had some good conversation everything from guns, Dogs & cats to politics, later we moved to another campsite and sat around a fire in anticipation of some Dutch oven peach cobbler once it was a crusty brown on top it was time for desert
My compliments to the lady who made it, that was some fine peach cobbler.... I would have had seconds but after the first bit I was over my sugar limit for the day.....I want to thank Rick for the invite I met some really good people there and was made to feel at home I'll be back to Capron Va. cause this is a bunch of people I consider newly found friends.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
I sure did enjoy having you come out and have fun with us,  hope to see you again in a few weeks at the next shoot.
 Well, i have to get back out to the shop,    many more guns to come,   but before i go, here are some great pics of our good time.   

the one thing we really learned from this shoot is we need vent hole guards like we have on are large mortars to keep bits of fuse from coming back behind the firing line.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:27 PM »
Lots of nice looking mortars on line there! Looks like a bunch of fun! ;D
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »
Photos added!  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:27:46 PM »
     Thanks' for posting this subject, Rick.  We need a LOT more of this type of thing if we are to continue our build it and shoot it informal fun or light competition cannon shoots.  Great photos as well Rick and Allen!  Nice to see some youths there too, after all, they are the future of this sport and hobby.  Very, very interesting, Thank You!

Tracy & Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
Great photos. Looks like there were  kids of all ages enjoying themselves. Thankyou for sharing.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline MR.GADGET

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 02:58:08 AM »
Had a lot of fun at that shoot. If anyone finds the other part of my ball please let me know......

Also I hear there was a ball found in VB, any chance it had a 5 on it in red ink.

KaBar, really good to see you and sit around the fire with you.
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org