Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery's shop used by yet another Artist/Sculptor, Cannon Maker  (Read 2102 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
   Our artist friend Bruce was given a 250 pound cast steel tube 15 years ago.  He has beautifully cleaned up the rather ugly casting and has inspected the bore which is fortunately bright and without rust.  At our urging, he purchased a complete set of No. 1 carriage drawings from AOP and is scaling them down to 66.67% to make an exact 2/3 scale, 6 pounder with authentic scale hardware, woodwork and wheels.  Occasionally we will post new pics of his progress as he creates this impressive carriage.  He has asked us to be his spokesmen on this project and we said, "Sure".

Mike and Tracy

P.S.  The bore diameter is 2.452"

Bruce started this large project by cleaning up the tube with files, body grinders (3 diff. sizes) and lots of dirty, filthy work (6 days worth).  We estimate he probably removed 4 pounds of cast steel dust and filings.  Now you can actually tell what that blob near the muzzle swell is (astragal with two fillets).

You should have seen this area before Bruce got after it!  The 1st reinforce to second reinforce transition was just a ski slope and the rimbase/tube intersection was a completely filled in slope with no vestige of any definition line such as you now see.  A full day of grinding and filing was expended on these features alone.

The base ring was another mess to clean up.  A one-half inch radius existed here where the Base Ring meets the tube and the cascable looked like some kid threw his half eaten pear at the breech and what resulted was sold as a cascable.  Another full day was required to re-shape the cascable and the junction between it and the breech's rear.

Bruce used the bandsaw to first shape the 60 Lb. chunk of 1018 that he found at a surplus and cut off steel supplier.  Then he used the milling machine to clean up the rough saw marks.  Both trunnion plates were machined in unison to keep all dimensions the same and to save time.  The trunnion cradle area has not been removed yet.  The Douglas fir, wood structure is a special made fixture to hold the steel for welding and drilling holes for through bolts and other hardware.

Some of the smaller hardware Bruce turned down from 1045 steel rods.  The tops of through Bolts, (bottoms to be threaded and welded to the 'tops') and some Eye Pins are shown here.  The Eye Pins need about two hours of hand filing to complete internal and external round overs on the 'Eye' part.

Bruce checked the drawings frequently while laying out the steel trunnion plates for drilling and milling.  

After drilling a clearance hole for the 5/8" through bolts, Bruce is milling the hole into a square shape with a 3/16" end mill.  Next a 1/8" end mill was used to tickle the corners before a file finished this job.  This shape receives the square projection on the bottom of the beveled bolt head preventing rotation of the through bolts during tightening of the cheek bottom nuts.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Bruce's artillery wheels finally arrived!  They are very well built.  60 pounds seems heavy for 2/3 scale 6 pdr. wheels, but I'm no expert on field arty.  We had an impromptu party to celebrate!

Tracy & Mike

Gary, Mike, Bruce & Tracy

The White Oak hub. The spokes are Ash.

These 14 spoke artillery wheels are authentically dished too.  They are custom bored and bushed for his axle too.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Nice wheels!  Any futher progress on the barrel or the rest of the carriage?

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Tracy & Mike,
A full scale Wheel for a #1 carriage is 57" tall and weighs 180 pounds.  So it seems to me that 60 pounds for a 2/3 scale wheel is very light.  Should a 2/3 scale wheel weigh 120 pounds?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
I think for a 3 dimensional reduction there is a cube root term in there some place.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Gulfcoastblackpowder,   I only have one pic that has not been published which shows some of Bruce's work, please look below.  For the past two weeks we have been pretty hard on the hang'er-rounders, Gary and Bruce as we ramp up the schedule to complete the Krupps.  They are also good friends, so when the pressure is off, they are welcome back.

Zulu, those people from Western Mass. are pretty smart, and Rickk is no exception.  We have seen his home built artillery in his backyard and it is First Class!  He is also correct about the Cube Root thing.  Basically it works like this:  Bruce's 6 pdr. is 2/3 scale, so we convert 2/3 to decimal format: (.66 cubed) equals .29 and .29 X 180 is the weight you can expect a 2/3 scale 6 pdr. wheel to weigh, or 52.2 Lbs.  That's why I said 60 sounds a little heavy.  We have not weighed them, so 60 Lbs. is just heresay over the phone from the maker, so it might just be an approx. number.

Tracy and Mike

The "Capsquares" in their rough condition fresh from the bandsaw.  With a bi-metal blade, our 31 year old Delta still zips through 2" mild steel, 1018 plate with very little effort.  Smoothing was done later on the mill to a scribed line and the recess for the trunnion cut on the bandsaw and smoothed with an endmill on the milling machine to a scribed line. 

This photo is a small portion of one sheet in the AOP drawing folio of the Field Artillery Carriage No. 1 showing some of the extreme details that the folio contains.  This is part of a special fixture for bending the trunnion plate and associated irons which partially surround the carriage cheeks.  The armory's back in those times used these to make sturdy, good fitting carriage parts.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
If you ran Gary off, where are you going to get your burrito's...you need them to keep up your strength so you can crank those guns out...

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
I see your granite flat sees similar duty to mine.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
{quote}
those people from Western Mass. are pretty smart, and Rickk is no exception.  We have seen his home built artillery in his backyard and it is First Class!

Rickk,
I want to see the backyard artillery too. Some pictures please?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Double D.,    You're right, we better re-call Lorenz.  Bruce is on his own.  Oops, I forgot, he does welding for us.  We better re-call him too.

GGaskill,    I'm not proud of the duty that surface plate does these days, but the inspection business has been gone for 7 years now and we have more requirements for horizontal surfaces than precision surfaces.  We do keep 1/4 of it clean for the occasional use of a transfer stand with a test indicator and a Cadillac gage for precise inspection of smaller parts.

Zulu,   I will let Rickk tell you about his carronade on the great looking 4 truck naval carriage he built, I will say he has at least one outstanding
Action-Front photo of it firing over his garden.  I bet he had a few fried green tomatoes and some roasted chiles after that shot!

Tracy & Mike

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Seacoast Artillery's shop used by yet another Artist/Sculptor, Cannon Maker
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »
about that weight/scale ratio

think that you got a cube 1x1x1"
if you doubble that in size it will be 2x2x2=8
eight times the weight

so a 2/3 whell is 2x2x2=8
full size is 3x3x3=27

so a 2/3 would be 8/27 of a full size weight , so 1/3 is very close
this one is 9/27 so its even a little bit too heavy
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 02:44:50 AM »
I learn something new here every day. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 06:08:56 AM »
isnt it because of that we are here ??
share and learn
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
At 11:00 this morning I was talking to Mike in his front room . I read the entire shotgun news , ..... twice . Also the new American Rifleman with the big gold coin on the front .

After a good 45 mins or so of watching Mike work and chatting I left .

I am happy to be welcomed back !

Maybe I'll see you in the morning around 10:00 or so ..... :o

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     In the past week, with Mike in California and me in the basement shop marking the Krupp Howitzers and sawing chunks of steel for fixtures, Bruce has been able to get some milling work done on his 6 pdr.  The following photos show some of that work.

Tracy

The Chin bolt tops are shown here in the rear position to hold the capsquares down.  Key bolts hold the capsquares down in the front.  They must be turned yet where they will be welded to threaded bolt extensions.  Those large clamps on top are called capsquares, not trunnion caps, trunnion hold downers or clamp things.  They are Capsquares.  The longer part underneath them is called the trunnion plate, not the trunnion strap, trunnion support or trunnion yoke.  They are Trunnion Plates. 

Bruce just made an angle iron fixture to hold these pieces for welding, after which they will become Chin bolts.  

A 10 Lb. block of 1018 was used to bandsaw, then mill these Prolong Hooks.

Top view of the Prolong Hooks used to hold the Prolong, a rope on the cannon's trail.  It's not a simple part to make with all those angles and tapers.

The strangest of all the parts we have seen is this one called a Washer Hook for Handspike.  You can see that to make this part Bruce had to first make a bending fixture on the mill and then turn and mill the unbent part on the lathe and mill.  It will be heated to an orange heat, then the flange ring will be placed in the slot in the fixture and with the other end in a Kant-Twist Klamp, it will be pulled quickly around the 'Horn' of the bending fixture to the proper angle and allowed to cool.  This part merely holds the rear end of the handspike when the field gun carriage is rigged for movement.

The drawing comes from the excellent folio of drawings on the Number 1 U.S. Field Artillery Carriage by Antique Ordnance Publishers

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     I thought we would add just a few more pics to show how you can inexpensively make a lunette for the end of your six pounder if you don't have access to a forge or foundry.  If there really isn't any interest in building a 2/3 or 3/4 scale six pounder U.S. Field Gun that's O.K., but we won't waste any more time with updates. 

Tracy and Mike

Bruce started with a 6 X 6 X 15 inch chunk of low carbon mystery metal from K & K Surplus in north Denver.  After some bandsawing to rough-out the shape, he switched to the mill.

You can see here that approx. one quarter of the block is sawed away and then the 1" end mill and rotary table  is used to cut a circular hole into the ring of the lunette and later round over bits are used to form the ring shape, itself. 

Bruce finishes up the top of the ring with the round over bit.  The thickness of the block is there to provide material for the downward sweeping shape of the lunette which supports the gun's trail at the rear.  The forward-most 30% of the lunette will be a fairly thin, tapering piece which will be welded to the rear-most piece in these pictures.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
keep them comming
its very interesting pictures
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu