Author Topic: What a lubed wad can do  (Read 930 times)

Offline crgator

• Trade Count: (0)
What a lubed wad can do
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »
Took my 1851 Navy to the range yesterday. I double loaded one cylinder (oops), so I put a lubed wad in, capped it, and shot. Later, when the range was cold and I went to check my target, I found what a wad can do. At 15 yards, it punched a hole through the target and put a good dent in the cardboard backing. I found the wad about 5 feet in front of the target.

That was a bit of a surprise. I really didn't expect the felt wad to travel that far, with that much power. That thing would really smart if you got shot with it.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: What a lubed wad can do
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:08:06 AM »
 I destroyed my chronograph when a wad from my .45/70 smacked it at 15 feet.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Gatofeo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: What a lubed wad can do
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
I almost always fire my cap and ball revolvers at a measured 25 yards, and have occasionally found round marks on the target and expired wads lying below the target.
I suspect that the wad stuck to the base of the ball for some distance, then finally let go. Accuracy doesn't seem to be affected by this. A high-speed camera would likely be required to confirm this, unless you were very lucky with a still camera.
At 25 yards, the wad didn't break the target's paper, but a ring of lubricant was evident on the white of the target.
I've also seen wads trail smoke, indicating their lubricant is burning. I've never found any indication of burning on a wool felt wad, but perhaps the lubricant was smoldering in flight. Once or twice I've seen wads land a short distance away, with a small wisp of smoke coming from them. The wisp never lasted long.
For this reason, I try to confine my black powder shooting to the local gravel pit, which is free of dry grass or any tinder that might ignite. Black powder itself produces a lot of sparks and should not be fired over dry grass, leaves, etc. without an extinguisher handy.
A close range, a wad by itself can cause injury. In the 1980s, a TV actor put a .44 Magnum blank up to his head and pulled the trigger as a joke. The wad in the case was blown into his brain, killing him. He and the show were canceled simultaneously.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."