Author Topic: click BANGs with CCi 200's  (Read 667 times)

Offline Muddly

• Trade Count: (0)
click BANGs with CCi 200's
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »
My Model Six has been having problems with CCI 200's and click bangs. Some minor some flint lockish. I've had a number of misfires with them in various rifles over the past few years so my use for them is fading fast. Too bad though, as they are cheap around here. The Model Six has a spring loaded inertial firing pin and a small diameter tip ( she's a 30-06) and I'm wondering if there is a better primer out there. the problem has been at a rate of 8 per hundred shots.Oddly enough the shot usually isn't too far out of the group!
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: click BANGs with CCi 200's
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:58:19 AM »
Having the shot not too far off is a compliment to you, you have good control of any flinching  ;)

I was getting the same thing with my Handi rifles, but that can be trigger control with those guns. I switched to Rem primers in everything and haven't had a problem. I don't care about saving a few bucks per 1K primers, I want those babies to go off when I pull the trigger (knock on wood).
 Could be it's time for a new spring, but I understand CCI to have harder metal in their cups too.

found elsewhere

Offline rescue_171

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:44:22 AM »
Maybe a weak striker spring? I have always heard CCI's are a little harder primer cup than most...

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46:58 AM »
I play with alot of different rounds so I have a large slection of primers laying around here for different guns. That said, my defalt primer is usually Win. for hunting loads.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »
Have never had a problem with the CCI primers!

A friend gave me almost 2000 CCI "BR" primers which were giving him problems.

Not one has ever given me a problem.  Using those BR primers in my RUGER#1 45/70 with not even a hint of a problem.

I'll take hand me downs like that any time!!!!!!! Same as 75 - 100 bucks in my pocket, YES!!!!!

My guess is this is a firearm related problem, providing the primers are in good condition and seated properly.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:45:47 AM »
I have experienced misfires with CCI primers. My understanding is that CCI uses either thicker or harder metal, and a weak hit may cause a misfire. I experienced this with an old Marlin 32 special, and I wrote it off to the age of the gun, but then I also had it happen to a new Ruger 77. In my case switching to Federal primers solved the problem. Having said that, it could also be a problem with a weak mainspring or even a headspace problem.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:52:30 AM »
I've had problems with CCI's in my rifles.  Some didn't fire and some had holes blow through the primer cup with average loads.  This is on three different calibers too!

Needless to say, I steer away from CCI when I can

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »
Only problem I have ever had with CCI primers is that they are hard to seat in certain brass from time to time--I have had great luck with both Remington and Winchester primers though, and have had very little problems seating them. That is using small rifle,large rifle, magnum rifle, large pistol, and small pistol--never tried any magnum small pistol primers yet. If I could only use one brand of primers it would be Winchester.

cybin

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »
Had a pistol with a weak spring that didn't like CCIs but would consistently go bang with Winchesters.

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal