Author Topic: rings and lapping tool.  (Read 456 times)

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
rings and lapping tool.
« on: December 20, 2003, 06:27:53 PM »
I will be getting a new Bushnell Elite 4200  4x16-40 scope next Friday and need advice on rings.  

It will be put on a new Bushmaster Varminter AR-15, this is a flat top type with Weaver top and comes with spacers if they are needed.  

Also I need a recomendation on a lapping tool kit for scope rings.  

Thanks,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
rings and lapping tool.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 05:21:38 PM »
If you'll use Burris Signature rings you'll not need to lap. If you use anything else you should. I think I got my lapping tool from Sinclair but I've had it so long I won't state that as fact. I know Fred sells good ones and he is a mighty fine fellow to deal with. I'm sure you can find them in several other places as well.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: rings and lapping tool.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 04:23:57 PM »
Quote from: HappyHunter
I will be getting a new Bushnell Elite 4200  4x16-40 scope next Friday and need advice on rings.  

It will be put on a new Bushmaster Varminter AR-15, this is a flat top type with Weaver top and comes with spacers if they are needed.  

Also I need a recomendation on a lapping tool kit for scope rings.  

Thanks,

Fred
.........I like the add-on scope spacer such as B Square or similar....I have a A.R.M.S. 5 that I have had for several years...these are more solidly mounted than using the Extra/Super High rings mounted directly on the guns sight rail......the spacer uses Weaver type rings and the Burris Signature rings Zee style will avoid having to lapp or use some standard rings such as the Leupold QRW rings and lapp them.......I also use the Sinclair tool and lapping compound......it works great for most uses.....the Brownells dual handle lapp tool is more heavy duty than the Sincalir and might be better for lots of lapping work but the Sinclair has worked well with its one handle and a little care to do dozens of sets of rings........with the spacer you can use lower rings that seems to be less likely to be knocked out of adjustment than the extra high rings directly on the gun?........good luck and good shooting!!!

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
rings and lapping tool.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 06:42:46 PM »
The Varminter AR-15 comes with spacers.  

I ordered medium Burris Signiture rings today, thanks for your help.

I will check into brownells, lapping tool as I still have a need for this tool.

Thanks guys for your advice!

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.