Author Topic: Removing paint from SB1 Frame  (Read 531 times)

Offline lumberjack

• Trade Count: (0)
Removing paint from SB1 Frame
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
I have 12ga turkey gun, that I believe came from the factory painted or dipped in camo.  The previous owner removed the camo from the sides of the frame.  I would like to remove the rest of the paint / dip from the frame, but do not want to damage it.   Any suggestions?  Additionally, if I use a chemical stripper will I need to remove the trigger / hammer assembly to ensure nothing gets inside the frame?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Removing paint from SB1 Frame
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
You could probably use a chemical stripper applied with a small artist's brush to localize it.  I would be careful around the plastic trigger guard area though.  The simplest would be to disassemble it, strip the paint, then reassemble.  Good time to clean up the trigger.  Breakdown is in the FAQ's.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »
Remember, the pins are driven out from the Right side..........they are splined on the left.
After it is de-painted what are you going to do?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline lumberjack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »
After I get it cleaned up I plan on repainting it. I have added a handi-grip stock and plan to paint the stock, frame and fore end.  I really would not be bothered about the frame, but the previous owner removed the paint from the sides and I think it would be best to remove the rest and start anew.  How long has nef used plastic trigger guards?  According to the serial # my gun was made in 1987 and seems to have a plastic TG.  Sorry to date my self, but I didn't think 3.5" 12ga shells were around then, of course I was 9 years old!  Anyhow, I bought this as a project, but have carried it nearly everyday of turkey season the last two years, and now geting around to the fun stuff.  But I am quite nervous, I hate to mess with a good thing, I keep thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it!  I also plan to polish the barrel, any experience with this?  It is supposed to be helpful, what are the results in these NEF single shots, is it worth it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
H&R has been using plastic for trigger guards and spacers for a long time,  H&R Inc(pre'87) used them back in the 60-70s.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:59:27 AM »
Those with painted models might have more to add, but I havent heard of the factory paint being prone to chipping or flaking off. If that is the case, the primer used is really working so why take off that good base when you can wet sand and paint from there.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974