Author Topic: S&W model 317  (Read 2960 times)

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
S&W model 317
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:26:54 AM »
Ok, this past Saturday I bought a supposedly new old stock S&W 317. An early wood grip model.
It appeared unfired. While shooting it it would fire fine in single action. But with double action it failed to fire about a third of the time. I used of variety of mostly CCI ammo. Stingers, Sub Sonic and a few CB longs. So now I’m wondering if someone might have changed springs in the revolver. I like it and plan on getting it to shoot.
Also would high end match type ammo be more consistent in firing?

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: S&W model 317
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »
Sometimes the mainspring adjustment at the inside of the base of the frame has been backed off to lighten[?] the action. You may need to remove the grips to adjust it. Bottom that screw out, snug not tite. I have seen salesmen at gun shoppes back that off. This was on the counter done to brand new guns on display. If that doesn't do it call S&W, they make it very easy to return a gun for warranty work. I had to return a 617 for a timing problem. It was E-Z and only took about 3 weeks including travel time [coast to coast twice].

P.A.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
Ok-thanks, I’ll give that spring adjustment a look
The handgun was from the gun store partner’s private collection and can see that happening.

Offline KC8GOE

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
The S&W 317 is a J frame, as far as I know all J frame's use use a coil hammer spring. The only adjustment is to replace the spring or cut coils from it. The 617 is a K frame & uses a leaf spring with a screw that can be used for adjustment however that was not what it (the screw) is intended for.
Nothing tastes better than someone else's wedding cake.

Life Member NRA

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
I have a Model 28 that does the same thing. It was a timing issue. It may just need a new hand. 

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
I took the grips off and it does have a coil spring
So maybe a stiffer spring is needed

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
A 317 is a 'j' frame? disregard previous post. I thought it was an 'L'

P.A.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
 Winston Churchill

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »
Well shot the 317 again, same ammo.
I’m starting to think with the random misfires, it could be the way I’m shooting it.
Slowly pulling the trigger in double action seems to be causing it to misfire.
But quickly pulling the trigger the little gun fires and pretty quickly at that.
3 shots can be done fairly quickly. So maybe I should stop trying to shoot it like my model 10 in double action. But I am happy with the way it shoots, about 3 inch groups at about 20 yards.
So maybe just some more practice will cure my misfires!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
A slow DA is a sure sign of a timing issue. When I used to test range revolvers for timing issues I would slowly cock the gun until the hammer was completely back. If the hammer is completely back and the cylinder stop is not in the notch then the timing is off. The cylinder stop should engage the notch on the cylinder just barely before the hammer locks completely back. My guess is you need a new hand. Cheap and easy fix.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
Have your serial number then:  Contact Smith and Wesson

Before contacting Customer Support, please review our FAQ page where many common questions are answered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Email: qa@smith-wesson.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Telephone:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

1-413-781-8300 (International)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM Eastern Time

By Fax:
1-413-747-3317 (USA)
1-413-731-8980 (International)

By Mail:
Smith & Wesson
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104

Winston Churchill

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:02:41 AM »
Thanks for the info
When I cock the hammer I can hear a small click before the hammer is fully cock. At the point of the click sound the cylinder appears to be locked and wont move. The hammer still travels a bit more makes a louder click and stops. There is a slight amount of movement with the hammer at that point.
I'll have to shoot it again. Next month we have our annual week with the kids at the camp. So lots shooting then.
If the problem isn't resolved, I'll contact S&W

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »
Yes just cock it slow and watch below the cylinder and you should be able to visually see the cylinder stop pop up into the notch just prior to the hammer locking back. The faster the cylinder rotates the less of a problem it is since enertia will usually be enough to compensate. Good luck with it and keep us informed.

Offline shotgun-2

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
With the dymondwood grips your S&W is 13 plus years old, sitting in the box that long the oils, and grease could be pretty tacky, I'd clean up the action and re-lube. I also found that because of the gun being so light, that I had to make sure that I had a deliverate tight hold as the gun will move easy with the hammer drop. Great little camp gun.

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
Well shot the 317 again and had the same issues. This time I tried some SK ammo getting the same failure rate. with double action shooting and even the rapid fire was causing misfires.
So went to the S&W website and filled out the warranty repair shipping form. If the repair time is only a few weeks, that shouldn't be a problem. Heck I waited 13 years to get the revolver, so even longer won't matter!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
Ok good. If it is a hand they will figure it out.

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 03:53:56 AM »
Well the 317 is off to Springfield MA today via FEDEX
I put a short note about the problem with the revolver

Offline gustmouse

• Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »
Got the 317 back from S&W. It only took 8 days including time for shipment!
They replaced the firing pin and main spring. I was able to shoot a few CB Caps in the garage and it fired fine.
There's also a more noticeable dent on the rim of the shot cartridges. The hammer appears to have more tension while cocking it, but didn't notice the difference firing it double action.

Great service from S&W and the 317 should now make from a good kit gun for fishing season and at camp!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Good to hear! Great turnarond time too!