Author Topic: 2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon  (Read 4046 times)

Offline plastikosmd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 06:19:44 AM »
Is there any need for wadding between load and can? the paste can does fit nice, slides down easy with just enough clearance from what you guys have said.  Looks like I will be eating italian a bit more

here are a few more pics for those that asked

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »
If you were loading loose powder, then you might want to use wadding over the charge.

But accepted safety procedures recommend packaging the charges in aluminum foil. Foil-wrapped charges are safer to handle, transport, and load than loose powder. Also, charges prepackaged in this manner are much less likely to leave behind smoldering embers in the chamber after firing.

The prepackaged charges are loaded first, then the projectile is loaded, then the foil is pierced through the vent to expose the powder charge to the fuse or whatever other ignition source you will use.

Here is a link to a post on making foil-wrapped charges. It's a little hard to read the text, but the pictures are pretty much self-explanatory:

From the stickies: Loading Cannon Cartridges

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 06:54:13 AM »
ok, will add tinfoil to the list....my wife thinks I have taken up cooking with the trips to the supermarket for loads

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 07:21:07 AM »
Lapan's legal problems are an example of why anyone selling any kind of cannon should form a corporation, and an LLC type corporation is easy to do, there are online forms somewhere.  Also carry plenty of liability insurance, it isn't that expensive usually, though you would have to be a bit careful about how you word the application so as not to spook the insurance company too badly.  The corporation which actually sells the cannons shields your personal assets from direct attachment by a lost lawsuit, to a certain extent.

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »
Sounds like the cannon discharged from embers..etc..not an explosion/cannon failure...I feel for the guy..but there are risks

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 09:53:27 AM »
You never answered my question did you get any implements with it? rammer? sponge? worm? Thumb stall?

all of which are needed to safely load your cannon, also there is a style of rammer called a shepherd's crook which I would recommend,

it helps keep your body and more improtantly your hand from being inline with the bore, if there is a spark it will pull the rammer out of

your hand without you lousing it.

A worm is important when using foil cartridges, after firing you need to "search the piece " and remove the foil remains before sponging.

A thumb stall is used over the touch hole to form a vacuum when sponging and help kill any errant embers that may lurk in the touch hole.

There are links near the top of the page that give detailed safety instruction on loading cannons you may wish to review.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 10:03:56 AM »
yep got none of those..will have to fab some of this stuff up and do some reading

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
Well I just got off the phone with Mr. Lapan. I let him know how highly some of you thought of his work.  He is still making cannons but is not selling to the general public.  He just made one for a military academy.  Anyway, he did stop due to lawsuits.  He mentioned 2, one that you guys mentioned...guy lost his arm while using the cannon in a 'rapid fire' exercise.  A second, when someone decided that smokeless powder was ok to use..and the cannon exploded, hurting a bystander a good ways off.  He couldnt remember what mine was based on..other than an english or french cannon from Lake George.

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 03:58:00 AM »
Some long term followup

Well the Cannon has been a 'blast.'  It has gotten me into the hobby and been fun.  It has caused me to want to 'step up' in size now.  Will be sad to see it go as it is such a perfect size piece but a bigger cannon will be sitting in its place

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
Good to hear from you again, plastikosmd. What do you plan on replacing it with?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »
lookin into maybe 3/4 size parrot..maybe a full size...thinking, open to suggestions!

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »

Re: Full size cannon
Not to put a damper on your desire but there are a few things you need to consider carefully, I found out the hard way.
First off where are you going to keep it, who will help move the heavy thing, can you get a crew together you can trust(you can not crew this thing alone), and where on earth will you shoot it?  Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
Best Regards, LS
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
over the next couple of years, I will be buying some land that will be more than ample to shoot it on. Crew will come in time.  I know this little one is the perfect size but I want to go a bit bigger

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
lookin into maybe 3/4 size parrot..maybe a full size...thinking, open to suggestions!

plastikosmd,
I'm not going to make any suggestions as to what you might want, but I'll gladly tell you what I'd like: If it ever happens that I've got the money to buy, the room to store, and a place to shoot a full size CW cannon then my first consideration would be accuracy; so first choice would be a 3-inch Ordnace Rifle, second choice a 10-pounder Parrott reproduction made of steel, and if I went with a smoothbore it would have to be a Federal Napoleon. Chances of this ever happening for me would fall somewhere between slim and none, but it's fun to talk about.
Hey, as long as I'm fantasizing; the bronze 12-pounder would be one of the early ones cast with handles.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »

plastikosmd,
I'm not going to make any suggestions as to what you might want, but I'll gladly tell you what I'd like: If it ever happens that I've got the money to buy, the room to store, and a place to shoot a full size CW cannon then my first consideration would be accuracy; so first choice would be a 3-inch Ordnace Rifle, second choice a 10-pounder Parrott reproduction made of steel, and if I went with a smoothbore it would have to be a Federal Napoleon. Chances of this ever happening for me would fall somewhere between slim and none, but it's fun to talk about.
Hey, as long as I'm fantasizing; the bronze 12-pounder would be one of the early ones cast with handles.

Cannoneer,
Some guys fantasize about women, others,.........................well, we all understand. ;D  What could be nicer than a pair of well shaped bronze handles. ;)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
Zulu asked, "What could be nicer than a pair of well shaped bronze handles."

Without doubt, a BATTERY of pairs of well shaped bronze handles!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
Cannoneer,
Some guys fantasize about women, others,.........................well, we all understand. ;D  What could be nicer than a pair of well shaped bronze handles. ;)
Zulu

I'll have to admit that I've never thought about the connection between my attraction to handles and my fascination with feminine orbs (good word) before (at least not consciously), but now that you mention it, you may be on to something deep here. :o

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
Cannoneer,
Zulu

I'll have to admit that I've never thought about the connection between my attraction to handles and my fascination with feminine orbs (good word) before (at least not consciously), but now that you mention it, you may be on to something deep here. :o

"orbs", I love it.  this forum makes me laugh! ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
We even have calendars!   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »
They are Dolphins...move on.

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 03:05:04 PM »
Thinking smoothbore for price, maybe 3/4 parrot. Any thoughts on South bend replicas? They seem well built and seem to have a great history

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
Handles Indeed !  :-[

They are Dolfins regardless of what they actually look like .

They may not be referred to as Dolfins back when they were in style . (Dan schooled me on that  ???)

But I refer to any handle as a dolphin ...... and you should too ! ;D

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »
The way I roll on this issue is thus: If the handles are representational I refer to them as dolphins, and if the dolphins are non-representational I call them handles (according to the literature both terms are acceptable).

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 02:48:20 AM »
Thinking smoothbore for price, maybe 3/4 parrot. Any thoughts on South bend replicas? They seem well built and seem to have a great history

SBR has a long standing reputation for providing a quality product, but the man that owned and ran that company for decades passed away last year. At the time of his passing he was in the process of turning the business over to a man that he knew and trusted, but you might want to give the new owner a call just to make sure of the status there.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
Well it looks like I will be the future new owner of this fine little gun  ;D
the owner and I have a deal going for it.

I had the same barrel on a truck carrage back in the 80's and early 90's
so it seems I am rebuilding the "family" bought a dublicate of my bronze
swivel cannon and now this.  :) All I have to find is another little bronze
coehorn and I'll be a happy camper...
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »
Kabar,
Don't forget this.  I like it and want to see what you do with it.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
Kabar,
Don't forget this.  I like it and want to see what you do with it.
Zulu

I'm not forgetting it..... it's project # 22 I think.... the Whitworth project is being moved ahead,
just got off the phone with my friend who owns the machine shop and we are going to get this started
I'll be posting a thread and photo's of the progress. the breech is going to be CNC machined so I can make more of them as needed  ;)

In between I am going to be finishing some castings of a scale 18th Century 3 pounder for someone
I get to keep one of them for my efforts. I'll be posting on that also.

And in between in between I have been building 2 semi-auto 1919 brownings and restoring a U.S. surcharged 1763 Charlieville so I am keeping busy. (say that 10 time fast!)

Allen <><
Allen <><

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 01:34:55 PM »
Dang it fella, you've been on a bona fide collectin' spree lately! :)  Seriously, that's a great catch, Allen.
I know the wheels are aluminum, but is all the hardware used on the carriage also made of cast aluminum?

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
Congratulations Kabar on your new cannon! If I lived a little closer you'd have had some competition for that one. Doubt you could get the barrel new for that price.  When you're ready to move up to a full sized one, keep me in mind for this one.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
ya wait till u hear the deal we workin, agree good price but it is nice to keep it in the 'club'