Author Topic: the 450 marlin gets a new scope  (Read 418 times)

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
the 450 marlin gets a new scope
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:42:32 PM »
Just put a new Redfield Revolution, made by Leupold, on my H&R Ultra chambered in 450 Marlin.  And headed to the range on Sunday.

So let me set the scene.......in the mid 40's, wind gusting, raining mild to hard.....at the 50yd range to get on paper, but ended up staying there......6 shooters(incl me) in the beginning, then came the hard rain, 1 guy left because his rifle was getting wet, 2 left because they couldn't see their targets. Just me and a couple guys shooting their mosin nagants...... not ideal, but I pressed on...

couple shots at 25 and I got it close, put the target out to 50, and zeroed it in for my 300gr reloads......shot 4, not a bad group......zeroed it for my 400 gr reloads........not a bad group.......then I zeroed it for factory 350gr.......great group!!! Then I ran 1 dry patch down the barrel and shot 3 more.......1 big hole!!!! I know this is only 50yds, but in the weather, shooting a high recoil rifle....it was quite a task....

This Redfield Revolution was clear as day, held zero shot after shot, did not fog up...and put a smile on this rugged face!! I highly recommend this scope to anyone.....only test left is a 28 degree Michigan morning with heavy snow......I'll take care of that this next season!! I'm leaving this one on my 450, but I'm definitely buying one for my Optima for next season!!!

My only disappointment, was the factory loads out-shot my reloads....I might have gotten better groups if I swabbed the barrel after every few shots.....oh well.....can not really improve on the Hornady 350 gr.....back to the drawing board to see if I can atleast match them.....

300gr Speer......4 shot

400gr Speer.....4 shot

350gr Hornady.....dirty barrel.....3 shot

350gr Hornady....1 dry patch......3 shot
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: the 450 marlin gets a new scope
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
NICE shooting!!!

I picked one up a couple months back and so far like it too....

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
I've got a couple Revolutions. A 2-7 with Accurange and 3-9 with duplex crosshairs. I like 'em both.

Spanky

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »
I've got a couple Revolutions. A 2-7 with Accurange and 3-9 with duplex crosshairs. I like 'em both.

Spanky

Best scope for the money.......I'm going to buy a few, as I think they will be going up in price soon enough.....
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!