Author Topic: Older Handi stock swap to Pardner  (Read 905 times)

Offline max55

• Trade Count: (0)
Older Handi stock swap to Pardner
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
Just picked up an unfired, 3 year old Pardner 12 gauge today for $65.00. I have had for some time a 1999 .223 Handi with synthetic stock, and now am curious if I could switch the stocks. The advantage of the synthetic is that it has a recoil pad.

Offline Torwe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Older Handi stock swap to Pardner
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:13:17 AM »
Yea you can swap them they will interchange But if your snythetic is a monte carlo you may have trouble getting a sight picture on a shotgun.
Life is like a coin you can spend it any way you wish. But you can only spend it once.

Offline max55

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
Thanks Torwe. The synthetic is a Monte Carlo. Plan B will be buying a slip-on recoil pad.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »
The MC would likely throw you off for gunning, and is prone to hitting you under the cheekbone. If it's a STD comb you will be good to go, in fact, that's what I did to make that light 12 livable.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline max55

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:58:31 AM »
Gcrank1,

Thanks for your response as well. Choate has two styles of stocks on its website. There is one with checkering that appears to be a Monte Carlo. The second appears to be a standard stock. If that's correct, would the Choate stock be a good place to start? I'll probably regret buying the 12 gauge, but I needed to start expanding my single shot collection. Thanks.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
Usually on a MC you see the little up curve at the buttplate that rises up to the higher comb. I'm not a syn. stock guy so I'm not sure on what you are looking at, but somebody here sure is. You could keep your eye on the classifieds here for what you want, and I like the 'pallet wood' stock sets for utility use just fine.
The lighter 12ga. loads, like 1 to 1 1/8 oz. and 2 3/4 to 3 drams equivalent, 7 1/2 and 6 shot will be pretty good and useful. It's harder where I am to find light loads though they are out there if you look for them.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline max55

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »
Thanks Tim. I checked Brownells, and they have a wood Tracker II stock that looks like it may work. The stock appears to have a swivel stud, which my existing forend doesn't have. Is there a recommended size/type swivel stud that would work best on the forend?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 04:58:15 AM »
Thanks Tim. I checked Brownells, and they have a wood Tracker II stock that looks like it may work. The stock appears to have a swivel stud, which my existing forend doesn't have. Is there a recommended size/type swivel stud that would work best on the forend?

I just use a short screw in stud.... I am certain if your handi, (LOL) you could make the std bolt gun machine thread front stud work as well. I haven't had a problem with the screw in studs in many many years shoulder carrying a handi. Even under rough conditions like when dragging a deer and that's when you REALLY need the strap anyhow...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
FWIW, I don't care for a sling on a rifle unless I need it, so it mostly stays in the hunt bag. I use one with a loop that slips over the barrel and just one swivel at the butt.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
FWIW, I don't care for a sling on a rifle unless I need it, so it mostly stays in the hunt bag.

+1 on that, other than turkey hunting,  the only time my sling is on the gun is after I'm done hunting, hopefully while dragging a deer out, or hiking on a road back to my rig, the rest of the time it's in my fanny pack.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
I do the same for close or quick hunts. But when I get up north there is nothing I like more than still hunting. I walk many miles. Usually out to a known tote road or pick up place. I find the strap mighty handy for the long walk home.....

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.