Author Topic: Compressed loads, .454 and other calibers  (Read 574 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Compressed loads, .454 and other calibers
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »
I'm perplexed!  I began loading for my .454 a week or so ago while using the data from my Lyman 49th edition manual.  What I discovered was that minimum loads of 2400 and IMR-4227 were very much near compressed loads.  Mid range loads had the powder (as far as I can measure) right up against the back of the seated bullets.  H-110 seemed nearly the same too.  I could never load a max load for any of these powders as they'd be jammed up against the bullet or nearly overflow the case.  I've noted this problem with a few other calibers as well, including the .357 mag and .30 carbine, especially when loading IMR-4227 and 2400.
Back to the .454 Casull; I've recently looked up some loading data in the Hornady manual and the loads listed there are even higher than those listed in the Lyman manual.  I'd imagine that with some of the loads listed there, the powder will be nearing the top of the cartridge and nearly overflowing.  Is this right? 

I've calibrated my powder measure and checked it with purchased standardized weights and my powder measure is right on the money.  I wonder what is wrong.  ???  Do any of you reloaders actually compress loads that much, even when the manual doesn't state that it's a compressed load?  I'm a little scared of doing so but I'd like to try some heavier loads if possible.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline bobthenailer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Compressed loads, .454 and other calibers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »
With 296 & H110 &  lil gun,  a max load is compressed to some extent even with factory FA bullets for reloading are used . doesent seem to hurt anything as accuracy is excellent reguardless of who made the bullets !
Hornday , FA , Speer , Nosler , Barnes  are the brands ive used .
 But i use cast for 99% of my shooting .

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
While I've never had a compressed load with H110/W296, I have had compressed loads with IMR4227 in the .460 S&W. Just the nature of the beast. If your charge is correct and from a published source, you should be fine........compressed or not.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »
I have seen max loads that the case would not hold. I have been shooting compressed loads since the 1960`s and most were extreemly accurate loads.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I've always wondered why some loads were coming up compressed yet the manual doesn't specify that being the case.  I guess from what you are all saying, it's OK to load them that way. 
Now back to that loading bench....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
I have compressed loads . Also are the bullets you use for the 454 ? Hornady sometimes have two crimp groves , make sure you use the correct one.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
I have compressed loads . Also are the bullets you use for the 454 ? Hornady sometimes have two crimp groves , make sure you use the correct one.
Yeah, I'm using the Hornady XTP Mag...just as listed in the Lyman manual.  I have some cast bullets with two crimp grooves.  I've seated on the furthest back toward the bottom to accommodate the powder.  When chambered, the bullets were as close to the front of the cylinder as you'd imagine possible.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 03:22:59 AM »
Some of the Hornady bullets have to use the front groove for the reason you mention. In some cases you can use the back groove and a 45 Colt case and get better preformance ( more room under the seated bullet.). Not loading to 454 spec but a better heavy Colt load. I think the cyl OAL in most SA guns chambered in 454 limit bullet use alot. I have found light bullets 200 gr or so really let the 454 shine.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:40:28 AM »
I have found light bullets 200 gr or so really let the 454 shine.
This is interesting.  I bought to .454 to fire lighter bullets at higher velocity.  I have no intention of shooting moose or dinosaurs with mine.  A lot of paper, plinking targets and prairie dogs at best will be my targets of choice.  I was considering buying a cannelure tool for my heavy loaded 38-40's in my Ruger Blackhawk, but now that you mention this, perhaps canneluring lighter jacketed bullets may be the thing to try for the .454.  Is there loading data for 225 and lighter bullets?  Are you using cast bullets or jacketed bullets for these lighter varieties?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:15:18 AM »
I don't know , I settled on 240 -250 . I will try to check my books .

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 04:37:04 AM »
A couple of years ago I purchased a quantity of .452 250gr Mag blem bullets from Lock Stock and Barrle. I use them in my 454 for hogs and they do a fine job. I have found like you however that with other bullets I cannot hardly get the powder in the Starline or Winchester case with some loads. This isn't too much of an issue with me as I am not looking to get everything I can from the loads anyway just accuracy for the most part.

A friend who is a huge Casull fan and shooter told me one that with 110 or 296 all I needed was to fill the case to the bottom of the bullet where when seated it just started to squish the powder and I would find more accuracy than I could handle. To date this has proved the case with my Ragin Bull, as every load I shoot whether cast or jacketed shoots around an inch at 50yds from a rest. I now use both the 265gr Cast Performance and the 250gr Mag bullets and am using WC-297 for my powder. They will both shoot tighter than I can hold the thing.