Author Topic: Sunday was trigger/sear lube day....  (Read 1399 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Sunday was trigger/sear lube day....
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:20:42 AM »
I first took my older brothers redhawk and took it apart and lubed it with moly on the sear and hammer.  I just want to smooth out the let-off and lessen the trigger pull.  Then i took the side plates off my new S&W M57 & M58 to lube them too.  My M57 had an awesome trigger already but my M58 trigger was a tad rougher.  Now with just a lube my M58 trigger is the same as my m57 trigger.  I like that when each gun has the same trigger feel.  How often do you take your revolver or pistol completely apart to clean and lube it?                                                     CZY

Offline Mohawk

Re: Sunday was trigger/sear lube day....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:13 AM »
Actually, I have never taken my side plates off. I am not aware of any gunk getting into my lock work. Now, if after a long range session I will bring the hammer to half cock and spray some Rem Oil into the mechanism. Then a little more into the cylinder stop( above the trigger assembly ) and let it coat the internals. Let it drain a day or so and things are fine. I do understand the lockwork but have never done the sideplate removal for cleaning. What did you find? Anything bad?

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
They were all clean and dry.  But all three are brand new too. But now I see why they wear out(some guns) so quickly.  The'll last forever now with the moly in them.

Offline shotgun-2

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
I check every gun when I get it, used or new, clean and lube. Some are dry when new, or grease gets hard and dry with time. Range time will build up unburnt powder, and soot/carbon, plus some dirt after time, I don't have a schedule on cleaning and lubing the action but probably once a year. The other thing I do is test the grease and oils I use by putting the handgun in a freezer bag and placing the gun in the freezer for a day or two, then cycle to see if lube is temp. sensitive or not, saves problems in the field later.

Offline hoggunner

• Avid Poster
    • 4A's Personal Protection Training
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
I have to admit that these short little guns are not my thing. however when it comes to long guns, and triggers I never use grease or any lube that will collect dust and get sticky. Most people flush them out with lighter fluid and let them dry completly. Am I missing something with the pistolas.

Offline dickttx

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
What do you use to lube the insides?

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:38:03 AM »
I put a little moly on all the metal to metal contact moving parts and put a little extra on the sear inside all my guns.  The double action on the revolvers seem to be a tab smoother too.  The difference in the trigger pull and smoothness of the sear is very noticable after its lubed with moly.   CZY

Moly;

Eliminates all wear
Reduces Friction
Prevents Galling
Fights corrosion
Doesn't attract dirt
Stays were we apply it.

My guns will never wearout no matter how much there used.  They will never need a repair kit or tune up kit as some of them are called.  I see so many wornout guns in the used handgun case at my local dealers when it can be prevented by using the correct lube. The choice is up to you to either let it wearout, then repair/tune it, trade it in for another new one at 4 times the cost of your last one or lube it with moly and never open your wallet again for it.  I don't like replacing the same guns over and over and you shouldn't have to too.  The choice is up to you.

You don't need an expensive trigger job too just put moly on the sear.

On my bolt action rifles i put moly on the sear(bottom of the bolt) and put a little on the bolt body and bolt lugs. It will smooth out the throwing of the bolt.

On my semi auto rifles, i put moly on the bolt carrier/bolt, the sear, the hammer face were it resets, the recoil springs/guide, on the oprod and gas piston/gas tube just a little will do.

On my semi auto pistols, i put moly on the frame rails/slide grooves, barrel lugs/barrel bushing,  recoil spring, the sear and the Hammer face and were it resets the hammer on the slide area too.

www.tsmoly.com     I use the ts-70 paste or anti-seeze because it has a higher % percentage % of moly in it.  Don't skimp and your guns will serve you much better.

Offline dickttx

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
Thanks, appreciate the info.  I'm more into pencils than greases!!

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
Here's an interesting article written by a pretty decent gunsmith on lubricants.

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »
I been using moly since the 1970's and the performance is still unmatched even today.