Author Topic: What is your idea of a "safe" trigger pull?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline sitdwnandhngon

• Trade Count: (0)
What is your idea of a "safe" trigger pull?
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
I think I finally got my trigger right where I want it, and using the milk jug and water scale it's a hair under 2.5 lbs.

I disassembled and re-assembled this thing 30 times before I honed it enough to get a good trigger feel, but what is considered "safe" on a field gun? I use safe as a relative term because a gun is only as safe as the guy holding it.

Using a snap cap though I cocked it and bounced the butt of the floor 15 times hard with no discharge, seems safe. I would never carry a rifle with a hammer cocked, or even until I see my target while sitting, so why do people attribute a light pull with an unsafe gun?

As another note, now that the sear has been honed how long can I expect it to last before it wears out?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: What is your idea of a "safe" trigger pull?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
As another note, now that the sear has been honed how long can I expect it to last before it wears out?

That's the $64M question and why the factory and Perklo recommends not going below about 3-3½lbs, it may last forever, or degrade after each trigger pull, my 45-120 trigger was 2½lbs after I honed it, less than a year later it was down to 21oz and I didn't shoot it that much!  ???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
i stop when tween  3.5-4 lbs....
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »

That's the $64M question and why the factory and Perklo recommends not going below about 3-3½lbs, it may last forever, or degrade after each trigger pull, my 45-120 trigger was 2½lbs after I honed it, less than a year later it was down to 21oz and I didn't shoot it that much!  ???

Tim

So I probably should order a backup then  ;D

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
A hunting gun,cold weather and gloves.I like mine between 3-4 pounds.Much lighter than that and a boom when your not ready.I'd order a back up just in case.Besides you might need it on your next Handi.
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
Not talking NEF/H&Rs mind you as mostly I use bolt guns but I do not like to see below a 3 pound pull on any rifle used for hunting. Now on a target/varmint gun used from a bench only I don't mind one that drops as low as 1.5 pounds but I found out years ago my trigger finger isn't sensitive enough for those super light target triggers some guns have.

I had an Anchutz target rifle with an 8 oz trigger and it went off more times before I meant for it to than when I did mean for it to. That one didn't stay at my house long.

Neither of my two H&R rifles have had any work done on the triggers they are as they came to me. I've not even checked the pull on them but neither is bad enough to cause me problems since both are iron sight guns my range with them is some what limited.

A crisp 4 pound trigger with no creep or over travel is far better than one at 2.5 pounds that has creep, over travel or grittiness. You guys some times scare me with all the things you do to your handi rifles. I doubt I'll ever own another but if so it will be a new one not a used one. I've worked on my fair share of triggers admittedly but am not a gun smith and haven't even played one on TV.......yet.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 05:53:20 PM »
Depends how ham-handed you are ;)  Guys from the freezing North that probably use gloves should go 3+ lb in my mind. I take off the gloves before shooting but still like that weight range.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
About the time you get to an unsafe H&R trigger pull you will start having FTF's because of transfer bar issues, so it is sort of self regulating, even if the hammer goes down with a bump on the floor the round would probably not fire because the transfer bar will not be up.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:24:29 AM »
I had my hawkens set trigger at 4oz for a while but raised it to 12oz when arthritis got in my fingers.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
A smith who used to work on my guns didn't like to take a hunting rifle below 4#. I personally was well pleased with that.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »
All my rifles have a 32oz trigger pull. The Kepplinger single set trigger has a 30and a 14oz set.

I am presenty wintering in Yuma, but time goes fast and soon we be going back to the cold.
This computer is giving me lots of pain.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »
I'm one of the guys from the frozen north and do 90% of my shooting and hunting with substantial gloves on, so I like mine at the factory pull.  Plus I have the same problem with arthritis in my hands.  Patty has Colt Navy revolver with a hair trigger, and that is downright dangerous.  It's going off to a gunsmith.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
I don't measure mine, other than what feels cdomfortable.  If I have to noticeably "pull" on the trigger I won't have it.  As long as it dosn't fire unexpectedly, as when bumped, and I don't have to torque up to squeeze it, it's ok with me.  I have a 22 I only punch paper with.  It probably could be measured in ounces and I love it, but I won't hunt with it.. My hunting gun has more resistance.

As some have said, I just don't like creep and grittyness.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
 My 30-30 handi-rifle came from the factory with a 4.5 lb pull and I'm leaving it alone. I like it at that weight plus it is glass smooth and breaks crisp. I know that a lot of people like them light, but for me, I tend to pull through to the rear and hold for a split second as that is how I was trained since being little. I think Tim said that these weapons need a solid pull to the rear and that split second hold in order to make sure that the transfer bar has engagement? If so, then it works for me. with the arthur brother in my hands, I prefer the smoothness as compared to the weight plus I have more confidence in my rifle with a safer pull. ;D

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
I wish there was a double set trigger available for these guns. That would be cool as hell, keep it about 3 lbs for hunting, and a couple of ounces for targets.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
You are probably on the light side for a hunter, but if it is similar to other rifles you have, and are thus used to it, that is OK.
I dont mind a bit of a heavy pull if it breaks clean. I notice the difference if I take several rifles to test out or play with.
My rule of thumb (or trigger finger) is, when shooting, and I mean really shooting, if I dont notice the trigger then the trigger isnt a problem. I dont decide this dry firing or messing around, it aint the same!
I hope it lasts for you; keep track of the rounds fired and let us know.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »
Hunting rifles I prefer 3+ pounds but balk when they get to 6 or so.  I've got some lighter and some with set or adjustable triggers that are under a pound for target work.

When it comes to heavy pull I'll put my 1854 Sharps up against most any of them.  Pull is 12.5 Lb most days but can get heavier.  It has what must be described as drag rather than creep.  Men were men back in that era.  Since it's "as issued" from the US Military I'm not going to be doing any trigger work on it.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Ive a 1884 SF 'trapdoor' with similar; degrease well a couple of times and lightly coat the sear tip and notch with some 'anti-seize' compound, either silver or copper does not matter. It will be much improved and no changes made. Quite often after the fist application and 40-50 shots it will get heavier, then when you re-apply (no degrease necc.) it lasts much longer.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 07:45:10 AM »
Pull weight can be deciving . A good 4 lb trigger can feel lighter than a 2 lb if there is no creep or grittyness. I like a little take up , a 4 lb trigger and no over travel on a hunting rifle . On the range drop it to 2 lbs and remove the safety as it will only be loaded while pointed down range.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 01:30:07 PM »
I have left the triggers on my Handis at factory weight.  A trigger has to be very bad for me to stone it, I use graphite, and molygrease first (sparingly) just to get the smoothness.  The reason I hold off on stoning is the heat treatment is unknown.  You cannot know for certain how thick the hardened layer is, or if the entire part is equally hard until you remove too much material.  Once gone you will need to reharden the contact surfaces.  Graphite and molylube migrate into the pores of the steel to level the surface and reduce friction.  This method does not shorten the life of the sear, and as long as you don't just glop on a thick layer and slap it back together serves to give the sear a cleaner feel, and lower percieved pull weight.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
Well for anyone that's interested I have an update (I need work season to start back up around here).

I wanted to test it so I put in a snap cap and just kept cocking and firing through an episode of The Simpsons last night. No clue how many though, maybe 5 shots a minute (100 shots or so) and it got noticeably lighter, it then became difficult to get the transfer bar to engage fully, I didn't measure it though because my only scale is a milk jug and water, but no more than a few ounces I would guess (I had it set at about 2.25 give or take a little).

I came to the conclusion that anything below 2.5 lbs makes for a transfer bar problem ($10 to learn that), even if you try hard to get a full pull through the hammer beats your finger back.

I took it back apart to prevent anyone from using it with such a light trigger and ordered a new hammer from Brownell's. I plan on checking this one when it shows up, and then setting it around 4 lbs to see what it wears itself down to.

So listen to Tim in the FAQ don't go crazy with it. I always had trouble listening as a kid, apparently not much has changed.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »
I cant help but wonder how your set up would work with a new 'trigger extension', which holds the lifter part of the T-bar in the up position.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special