Author Topic: new 5 in steel,  (Read 660 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
new 5 in steel,
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »
well new to me, i just bought 12 foot of 5 inch steel, round.  i am thinking 300 lb parrot rifle.  and seacoast mortars. but i am still waiting on plans from AOP so i can get the measurements correct.    what do you think???? what can i build.??   i am thinking 1.5 inch bore. golf ball cal.  tho if i do go golf ball size i would not shoot golf balls. i am too worried about them bouncing back off trees and rocks.  i would make a mould and mold zinc rounds.

rick bryan

Offline rifleshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: new 5 in steel,
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
Ohhhhh I wish I had a lathe big enough forsomething like that. My little 9 inch south bend just cant handle the big stuff. I cant wait to see what you come up with.

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
I wish I was strong enough to pick up a 12' length of 5". :o :o
Rick, show us some pictures of your shop.  I guess you have to use a chain hoist or some kind of winch.  Forklift?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
well i wish i had a forklift like my buddy cannon shop,  but sadly no, i have an engine hoist and a few friends.  i had the peice of steel cut down to 6 foot maybe 7 foot peices at teh scrap yard. and then the old hippy told me it was 820 lbs lol so 410 lbs each. so here i am still waiting for a friend to help me move the steel tonight.  i can move it by myself but just in case something goes wrong when moving lathe steel like that i try to have a friend to help.

I am planing on cutting a peice about 24 inchs off of the steel and start turning soon.  i am going for a 300lb parrot.   it would scale out very well, for a short but thick peice of steel.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
Where I work we installed a gantry for moving the 10-20' bars of material to the bandsaw.  Strictly a financial decision:  cost of gantry = cost of ONE back operation.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
i just got 15 different prints from aop in the mail     yay ,  now i just have to decide what to build. from the prints ,   i think i am going for 300 lb parrot.

rick bryan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »
yes, 300 lb parrot,    out of 5 inch round, with a 1.25  bore.  on steel front pennacle carriage.  this one is mine. i need something big and pretty that my wife will yell at me for putting it on the coffee table. lol,   I love to surprize her.  like today. i bought a set of clam tongs from the scarp yard today. there about 6 foot tall. and 3 to 4 foot wide. lol only 50 bucks. for a dimond in the rough. lol well, it is if you grew up in the marsh of the cheasapeake bay.

rick bryan

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
     Rick, can you give us the low down on that old photo?  It sure looks like one we saw in the Cold Spring, New York,  West Point Foundry Museum of the West Point Foundry that Robert Parrott ran.  The description was "Experimental Proving Battery" aimed at sheet-iron targets near the top of Storm King Mountain just north of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York.

Using 1.25" as your bore size all the numbers work out at a 1:12.5 ratio.   Example .125 X 40.0" = 5.0"  I want to see a 300 Pdr. Parrott on an Iron, Front-Pintle, Seacoast, Barbette Carriage.  Go Rick Go!  You can do it, and you are correct, it would be big and pretty on the coffee table.  If you keep it dusted, maybe the better half will not yell at you after all.   :D :D

Mike & Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling