Author Topic: lube groove width/depth  (Read 604 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
lube groove width/depth
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:48:36 AM »
I notice that the lube grooves on my 2 Lee moulds, 340 gr .457 FB and a 440 gr. .501 FNGC, are comparatively thin and shallow.  Much more so then my RCBS 44 and 45 moulds (Keith style GC and RNFB respectively).  It seems counter intuitive to me that a heavier bullet would need less lube surface...  :-\

I also found out that the bullets from the Lee moulds aren't as easy to pan lube; they don't hold the lube as well as the RCBS moulds.  I attribute this to the smaller grooves.

I first thought that, possibly, the GC bullet didn't need as much lube as a FB bullet, But the Lee FB grooves are comparable to the GC grooves as are they in the RCBS moulds.

Can someone enlighten me on basic groove width/depth theory?   ???  We don't need to go into groove bottom shape... round or square is fine with me!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: lube groove width/depth
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
Since Lee lathe bores their moulds the smaller lube grooves are easier/faster/cheaper to cut. And smokeless powder guns don't need much lube so they are sufficient for that new fangled stuff. If you try to use most Lee bullets with black powder you quickly find they are inadequate. (With the exception of custom designs Lee has made in the past. )
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
Hello, AtlLaw.  Like Nobade said, the smokeless powder guns don't need as much lube.  But also, keep in mind that when Keith designed the #429421, there wasn't Alox, or other modern lubes around.  They needed more of the available stuff to do the job that requires less lube today.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
Well, that makes sense I guess...  :-\  They sure are a pain to pan lube though...  :(  I ended up hand lubing most of the ones I kept before I ran them through the sizer to set the GC and scrape off the excess lube.

Always looking for a bargain (you'd think I'd learned by now you get what you pay for...) I see that Midway has the "RCBS 1-Cavity Bullet Mold 50-400-SWC 500 S&W (500 Diameter) 400 Grain Semi-Wadcutter" mold on sale for $47.47.  Now, THEMS some fine lookin lube groves!   ;D

But NO gas check!   :(  So, I'm worried about using them at full velocity rifle loads...  :-\  I guess I'll just play with this Lee mold for a while and see what happens.  Good for the learning curve I guess.   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:01:01 PM »
Just because there is no gas check doesn't mean it's gonna lead your barrel. A lot depends on the type of lube and the alloy that you use, as well as the bullet fit to your bore.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:20:25 AM »
I haven't tried that bullet in a 500 S&W but it sure works well in 50 cal. fast twist muzzle loaders.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."