Author Topic: Split Brass  (Read 479 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Split Brass
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
While sorting through a bunch of .357 brass I'd fired this weekend I noticed a few had splits in them near the middles of the case.
I understand cases splitting near the ends from being overworked but I have no idea why these split where they did.
The brass has been loaded a few times since I got it, but I'm not sure how many. My loads are pretty stout, 13.5 AA#9 underneath a 158 gr cast RNFP. Is this just a normal sign of old age?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Split Brass
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
The case mouth generally gets worked the most from crimping but the case body gets worked as well especially if the chamber is a bit loose.

Offline KansasPaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
I have experienced splitting in the middle of some nickel plated cases that I got from a friend - the cases had only been shot one time prior to me receiving them and after a few hot reloads I started to see some case splits as you described. I've not noticed this issue with brass cases - most of those split at the case mouth.  I don't think that what you are seeing is abnormal.  If you continue to reload hot rounds, you might want to keep track of the number of times you are reloading those cartridges and limit their use?

Paul

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
I've seen splits like that in both .38 and .357, in brass cases I've only used for mild loads and nickle cases used for hot loads, and everything in between.  I've often questioned why but just figured it was a part of the deal.  Although thinking about it, I've never seen it in my 9mm or .45 reloads.  Makes you wonder...

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the answers guys, it doesn't sound like I've got anything to worry about.  I am planning on reducing my loads though, I seem to be having accuracy issues so I think it's time to play with me loads a little bit. I'm getting 8" groups @ 50 yards with my Marlin levergun, and from everything I've read I should be getting better than that.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
I think we've all experienced it if we've loaded enough. Personally I've always assumed it was just a factory defect in the case as it most often happens on the original firing of a factory round or the first time or two it is loaded. Mouth splits just excessive case wear but those mid body ones I just chalk up to a case defect.

I've had it happen to centerfire bottle neck rifle rounds as well tho not as often as in .38/.357 mag cases. I don't recall ever having a .44 mag or .45 Colt split that way.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!