Author Topic: 8 Bore Navy Arms?  (Read 944 times)

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
8 Bore Navy Arms?
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
I ran across a beast...Anybody seen/shot one of these?  I'm thinking about buying but not sure of the metalurgical integrity of Navy Arms.... any opinions? I mean other than "you'll break your shoulder", "recoil junkie"...  I don't want to buy a pipe bomb.
thanks
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 8 Bore Navy Arms?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:03:49 PM »
Most Navy Arms (if I am not mis-informed) are imported from europe.  They (european regulators of firearms) require all arms manufactured on their soil to be proof tested.  This includes all muzzleloaders.  I can post pic's of the proof marks on both of my Pedersoli rifles to back up part of this. (if you'd like)  The loads they recommend will be soft compared to what we in the USA are used to dumping down the bore. So I will state with confidence that it will be safe to pull the trigger on any recommended load, and maybe a tad more.

8 gauge rifle or smoothbore? Percussion or Flinter? One off or production run?? Where on earth did you find this beast, cause I want one.  If the price is right and it is current production. 

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Hopefully in a few days it will be in my hand.  Rifled  percussion. The load I've seen from another maker is 250gr of 2F with a rpb.    I haven't ascertained twist, but I'm guessing it's round ball only....like, who cares?

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
If anyone else is interested, this baby is on g-broker for another 30 hours...beautiful wood! I just spent all my funds on another delectable toy. :P

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237207767

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
I bet the lock is the only Navy Arms thing on that rifle.  I think someone built it in their shop. 

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »
One never knows....I'm sure the details are lost in the murky waters of time passed. (how wuz that? ;))  But seriously, after thinking about it, and believe me I've looked at it a zillion times..no caliber mark on the barrel? No Navy Arms on the barrel or anywhere else of prominence.... The screw slots look somewhat "used" in the not too sharp photos, the only close-up that's sharp is the muzzle. 
I still would have bought it if the Gibbs hadn't been staring me in the face. My reservations included my lack of knowledge of anything that big, the possibility of recoil splitting the stock, since we can't be sure of how the barrel is set in and the possibility of recoil splitting.....me.

Offline Forestclimber

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
The barrel should come right out.  Remove the ramrod and push the wedge out in the forearm.  You should be able to lift it right out.

Offline wwpete52

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
I bought that rifle.  The only thing "Navy Arms" about that piece is the musket lock.  It is a custom made rifle. 

Offline Nobade

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »
Have you checked the twist rate? The Gunbroker picture looks like it might be pretty fast. I wonder if that's not a 20MM cannon barrel? Either way it's sure a neat rifle you got for a very good price!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline wwpete52

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
Have you checked the twist rate? The Gunbroker picture looks like it might be pretty fast. I wonder if that's not a 20MM cannon barrel? Either way it's sure a neat rifle you got for a very good price!

The owner didn't know for sure.  He thought that it was 1:48 but I'll check it out when it arrives.

Offline Forestclimber

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »
I bet it's about 1:70 if it's a roundball barrel. 

Offline keith44

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »
even 1:70 twist would be on the fast side for a ball shooter that size.  anything larger than 72 cal is likely to have a 1:100 twist, but the pic looks more in line with small bore twist rates.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA