Author Topic: Handgun for Christmas  (Read 846 times)

Offline theoldman

• Trade Count: (0)
Handgun for Christmas
« on: December 04, 2003, 02:43:20 PM »
Need some help here. My daughter said that she would lake a handgun for Christmas. Her specifications are only that it be a 380 auto. She has small hands and I am not that up on handguns. Looked at a few today and found 2 that were small enought, one was a LLma and the other was some piece made in Hungary Will look some more but would like some advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.  :?
Thank God I live in the good old US of A. !!!

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Handgun for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 02:55:32 AM »
I have one of the new Keltec 380s that I really like.  This is not one that you will go and shoot at the range all the time but pretty much just a carry gun.  The Bersa Thunder 380 seems to be getting pretty good reviews so far.  Seem to be reliable and accurate for a $200 gun.  Here are a couple of links to some reviews.....

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25882

Of course, if you are  looking at spending more money, there are always Walthers and S&W 380 in the PPK type guns but so far, from what I've read, the Bersa seems to be just as reliable.  Just a few suggestions......GS

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
380s
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 04:23:48 AM »
Hay theoldman:  there are a slew of 380s available today, and others in similar form and caliber.  But, one of the prettiest ones I have ever seen, that was definately a pistol packin' Ladies gun (that worked without fail and would never find me standing in front of it) was an older Beretta Model 34 that a fella had color finished for his wife.  She was a bit diminutive, an Asian Lady, but she had no problems handling her 'frosted blue' Beretta.  There is a place in Florida that refinishes handguns in various color schemes and this one was very pretty, and very effective.  A true Ladies gun.  And man, could she shoot with it, whoooee.  Dang!  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
Handgun for Christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 04:47:25 AM »
Don't overlook the CZ-83 and the Browning BDA.  There is, of course, the Sig P232, and Llama makes one called the Micro Max.  The Llama looks like an itty bitty 1911.

Offline williamlayton

Handgun for Christmas
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 12:24:13 AM »
ppk....
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Handgun for Christmas
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 03:02:24 AM »
I think you could pick up a Sig P232 for around 450 for the blued variety.  There is no doubt that the Sig is one of the most reliable handguns out there.  If this is for personal protection I would go with a Sig, can't go wrong.  

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Handgun for Christmas
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 12:32:33 AM »
I have a Walther PPK, and a S&W Sigma 380. I like 'em both. There has never been a feeding or function problem with either one.

Offline Mark Borntrager

Handgun for Daughter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 04:16:07 AM »
Hey Oldman
I bought my daughter a Colt Mustang Light in the 380. It's a nice little gun and shoots well!
Mark

Offline Dave in WV

Handgun for Christmas
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 04:57:22 AM »
If the pistol is a blow back design and doesn't lock like a full size auto loader the slide will be more difficult to pull back. The Kel-Tek locks and is very light. Has some kick to it but is very light and is small.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Gregory

Handgun for Christmas
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 01:13:27 PM »
I have a Beretta Tomcat in 32 ACP and I love the tip up design.  If she's set on a 380 I'd try a Beretta Cheetah 86:

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)