Author Topic: Shipping damage paid by USPS  (Read 882 times)

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • endeavor to persevere
Shipping damage paid by USPS
« on: March 18, 2011, 06:21:23 AM »
I recently shipped a barrel and scope and the tube was opened by usps, the scope went south and the barrel was scratched. i insured it and the buyer just told me that USPS has settled the claim in full. Way to go USPS. I will never ship by ups or fedex again. Just an FYI.
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: Shipping damage paid by USPS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:24:24 AM »
That is good to know. I sent a guy some stuff and when the package arrived the only thing left was the press. The good thing was that I insured the stuff. I sent him the receipt and am now waiting to see what happens. 
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
Why did USPS open it?

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
tom, i hada package delivery driver back into my brand-new super-duty 550 4wd/4dr diesel dually while parked at my house bout a year ago !!!  and never said a word bout it !!!!......... jus so happened my wife's friend was come'n down tha road and seen the delivery truck drag'n the rear bumper and tear'n my road up.
i filed a claim... and we been fight'n it ever since. damage estimate from ford was over $9500
plain and simple.... they don't come to my place anymore.
legal aid... (my brother) says they have agreed to pay for complete replacement of damaged
items...and if any unforseen conditions appear,  a new vehicle will be in order.
we will see bout that !!!! ;)

i will not mention the companies name,  it was not ups or usps  ;D

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »
I was told that the USPS opens packages regularly in the interest of 'national security', and to ensure compliance with the regulations. Apparently people 'lie' about whats in packages and the fines are stiff; maybe this is why they are going broke and it takes a week to get a #10 envelope from the Mississippi valley to either coast. At least they have package tracking now, and, yes, I use them more than anything else. Insurance is cheap if the shipment has any value.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »
yep, itsa kinda hard ta beat usps fer ship'n handi thangs ;D ;)
i ain't neva hada trade'n partner tell me tha package was opened ??
and theres been a few of'um sent too  8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
I received a barrel on time that the box had broken open at one end during shipment but the seller had really packaged it well and there was no damage.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »
I learned my lesson back when I was dealing in antique clocks....UPS is a no-no on fragile items...after receiving several "insured" clocks that were absolutely destroyed and their refusal to pay the claims. A service rep from UPS told me that things need to be packed to survive a 4 ft drop.  What !!!!?
 In my experience USPS priority is the best followed by Fedex....I get a lot of stuff UPS, but nothing fragile...
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
"Brown" took on a whole new meaning for me....
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 05:28:49 AM »
Friend of mine in Michigan bought a little 722 Remington from me, but was disappointed with the plain jane stock stock.  I slimmed 'er down, installed forend tip, grip cap, recoil pad, spent about a gazillion hours sanding/finishing, then put on a dandy wrap-around forend point style checkering pattern, and two panel grip checkering.  Glass bedded that little .300 Savage chambered rifle, mounted a K4 Weaver, and took 'er to the range before I shipped it off via "Big Brown".  It took 12 days to make the "overnight" shipment.  Yes, I paid extra for the overnight expedited shipment with insurance from my ffl to his receiving ffl.  When he got the box, the driver high-tailed it outta there as soon as the signature was on his little tracker thingie, but when he went to open the box, noticed that there was a large crease in the middle of the box, a footprint, and when he opened the box, that little stock was broken cleanly through the pistol grip.  We started the claim immediately, like, before the driver left Dimondale!  Everything was denied, even with threats to report them to the Attorneys-General of both Idaho and Michigan.  In the end, I replaced the stock, with an equal amount of time and care, shipped it via the "White Truck" company, and never looked back.  "Brown" is a union operation, "White" is contractor/owner/operator, and really hump it along to put more freight through the truck, AND, they must be liable for damage, as I've yet to get a busted piece of anything yet.  Only folks better, is the USPS.  The very real advantage to going with the Post Office for shipping is that in the event of theft or damage, or pilferage, you get the advantage of having every single claim investigated by the Postal Inspector.  They CAN be very nasty in their investigations, at least toward the perp, and they can arrest bad guys, and prosecute them.  If I'm shipping handguns, I ship FFL to FFL, and via USPS with everything up-front.  Absolutely ZERO problems.
Oh yeah, almost forgot.  Remember that little windstorm called Katrina?  I was working as an Air Force Item Manager acquiring and shipping parts for the SATCOM systems, and at the time, the "Storm Chasers" were in dire need of some of my components.  I shipped them from Utah to Mississippi, via "Big Brown", the Gov. paying for overnight delivery so they could get those C-130's up.  They lost 'em.  Like, immediately.  Tracking disappeared as soon as they left our loading dock.  When they found them, they'd been delivered to Atlanta, where the electronic components sat on an uncovered loading dock for a week, water-soaked, corroded and absolutely useless.  (YOU, Mr. Taxpayer, lost about $300,000 on THAT one, as, you guessed it, they denied the claim)  As soon as I found out, (the moment that Brown had lost the tracking information), I shipped the last components I had via "White Truck" company, they picked up the boxes at three in the afternoon, and were delivered (through the storm damage) DIRECTLY from Hill AFB to Ocean Springs, and were logged out at the receiving end at 10 AM the next morning!  Do NOT tell me to ship ANYTHING via "Big Brown", I don't want any of that 'stuff' rubbing off on my stuff....
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline