Author Topic: Bowling Ball Mortar Update  (Read 923 times)

Offline CAV Trooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bowling Ball Mortar Update
« on: March 18, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
Well, Last weekend turned out to be perfect. On Saturday, there was a light wind from the east and a bright blue sky.

The mortar was set up near the lake and aimed towards the West between two small islands. I rechecked the tube and verified that it was at a 60 degree angle. Loaded 3 oz of cannon grade BP and 10 pound ball, lit the fuse and got back. The thing went off with a very satisfying boom with the tube ringing like a bell. Having never seen one of these before, the crowd that was watching went wild. 

The ball seemed like it would never stop climbing. Of course it did and there was an extremely satisfying splash when it landed just inside the far shore of the lake. Once again, the crowd went wild.

Using a distance measuring app on my iPhone, we estimated that it flew approximately 500 yards. WOW!!! I'd heard that these things could really chuck a ball but to see it first hand is a whole different thing. I'm sure glad that the tube wasn't set at 45 degrees because there's an interstate highway 350 yards farther downrange.

A review of a video my wife took shows that the ball was in the air 14.3 seconds from firing to splash. Does anybody know the math to calculate the altitude the ball reached as well as a more accurate distance?

The shot on Sunday was 2 oz of cannon grade and a 16 lb. ball. That got about 200 yards, was a whole lot easier to see in flight and was exactly what I was looking for. Again, the crowd went wild.

Now all I have to do is get LOTS more ammo!  ;)

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Bowling Ball Mortar Update
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
There is no simple ballistic computation that will give accurate range based on height or time of flight without an accurate ballistic coefficient for the shot (and even with it, the computations are not simple.)  A tape measure or laser range finder would be much more accurate.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
A review of a video my wife took shows that the ball was in the air 14.3 seconds from firing to splash. Does anybody know the math to calculate the altitude the ball reached

It's been a while since I've done much physics, and I might be completely wrong, but here's my guess. Your ball should climb for 7.15 seconds, then fall for another 7.15. The distance something falls due to gravity is d = .5gt^2, so d = .5(9.81)(7.15^2) or 250.5 meters. That works out to around 822 feet.

Again, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
No critcism intended, but that is the high school or introductory college physics approach which usually starts out problems of this nature with the caveat "Ignoring air resistance, ..."  Unfortunately, air resistance is a greater force than gravity in ballistic calculations (and on top of that, it is non-linear) so ignoring it causes gross deviations from reality.  That is why I said there is no simple way to calculate from the given data.

All that aside, it sounds like everyone had a good time.  Flying bowling balls are great fun.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Winger Ed.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »
Does anybody know the math to calculate the altitude the ball reached as well as a more accurate distance?

That's way cool.

I think we should form a foundation, and research this question further.
Maybe we could get some ga-zillion dollar govt. grant to do it with too.
"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again".
Unknown US Coast Guard Commander on the upper US East Coast.  Circa 1920

In our modern & enlightened times:
The only thing the Meek will inherit- is a Berqa.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:14:52 AM »
Wait...your wife shot video and there are no pics are movies posted here??? :o  I mean really.  We all live for those smoke and flame pics and movies are even better.

I think we should get a commission together to get a method of putting that wonderful smell blackpowder gives off when the cannon or mortar fire.  ;D

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 04:50:45 AM »
CAV: By all means, photo support is indicated!
Did you hear the "shrieking from hell" as the wind caught the finger holes in those balls?

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
next time you get her out to shoot....make a simple little azmith/altitude tracker with a wal-mart plastic protractor.....model rocket web sites will show you how~
someone watches and tracks the ball to it's 'top' and locks the angle....then measure the distance of your base and A+B=C type stuff, high school math stuff...and that'll be close!

p.s. anyone ever shot a bowling ball mortar level?...... ??? wonder how much the ball would skip and mow down??????
"MORE booze!"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
p.s. anyone ever shot a bowling ball mortar level?...... ??? wonder how much the ball would skip and mow down??????

I've shot my 4.5" at VERY LOW angle - 15 degrees or less.  It slides back a ways, so be prepared.  Time of flight is short at 100 yards.  We were firing one mortar at high angle (75 degrees or so) and waiting to light the other fuse to see if we could get both to hit the same point at the same time at 100 yards.  (I've seen it done a couple of times - at much greater distances - with 105mm howitzers with ONE cannon.)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Winger Ed.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
I think we should get a commission together to get a method of putting that wonderful smell blackpowder gives off when the cannon or mortar fire.  ;D
I'm with ya on that one bro.

However;
I hope you have better luck than I did on the idea of 'Getting rich quick' with such a wonderful idea.
In years past,,,,, I floated the idea of making men's 'co-loan'......
How do ya spell that word anyway?
I've seen it,,,,,, and the word looks like it should be pronounced, "Ka-log-ne".

I always thought it'd be a great idea to market a men's after shave,,,, or 'ka-log-ne',
that smelled like either burnt gunpowder, or Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent.
"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again".
Unknown US Coast Guard Commander on the upper US East Coast.  Circa 1920

In our modern & enlightened times:
The only thing the Meek will inherit- is a Berqa.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »
Lots of people (gun writers, mostly) have speculated about selling a cologne that smells like Hoppes #9.  Since they have removed the benzene from the formula, you could probably use it as is.

Might attract more men than women, though.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 03:48:39 AM »
next time you get her out to shoot....make a simple little azmith/altitude tracker with a wal-mart plastic protractor.....model rocket web sites will show you how~
someone watches and tracks the ball to it's 'top' and locks the angle....then measure the distance of your base and A+B=C type stuff, high school math stuff...and that'll be close!

There is a you tube video on a cannon that shoot bowling balls.  The gun is supposed to have a ATF letter and as soon as we get a copy of the letter we will allow the posting of the links to that cannon....look for it on you tube and see what it doe to a pick up truck. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:06:54 AM »
I've seen more than a couple BB cannons on You Tube, one of them had a souped up carriage that had elevation gears, transversing mechanism, and car tires.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
A bowling ball cannon (howitzer, at least) wouldn't be much different from an 8" howitzer and there were several muzzle loading versions of that.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
While you are figuring up the time and lenght of travel, Figure this out, I just got a Kiddie ball- about 8 lbs. with 4 oz. powder how far will it go at 55 Deg. and time, Thanks