Author Topic: Truck/car long guns  (Read 1595 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Truck/car long guns
« on: March 16, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »
OK, now i know about what is a car gun is but really how is this weapon carried in the car?  When i think of a truck/car  long guns  i think of a folding stock, stockless, or personal defense weapon(PDW) in between the center console or front seats or mounted in some kind of gun rack loaded but i know that is not lawful or safe. I keep seeing article in gun magzines  about Truck guns and how they could be used as a bug -out weapon if some really bad happens were you need more fire power then a handgun. So, how is a long guns carried for a truck or car gun?  Is it cased unloaded in the back seat or in the  trunk of the car?

Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Truck/car long guns
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Where I am it is a beater gun that lays behind the seat in a PU, unloaded and wrapped in nothing more than an army blanket.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:28 AM »
Around here you'll see most pickups have a rifle or a shotgun or both hanging in the back window but we don't have a lot of thieves around here. Still, I prefer to keep my guns out of sight but not "concealed". My own "truck gun" varies with the season and my mood. Sometimes it's a 45/70 handi rifle, sometimes my .22/.410 over and under, sometimes my Ruger .44 revolver and sometimes my .410 singleshot pistol. I built one special purpose "truck gun" for a buddy, an old Turkish 8mm Mauser cut down to 18" barrel with the original military stock cut and slimmed down to a Mannlicher style with a pistol scope mounted over the original rear sight. He says it shoots great but he's never actually used it for anything but paper targets.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
  I live in rural up north Mn. and like to carry someform of long gun behind the seat or sometimes on the floor pushed up against the seat out of sight.   It's handy for running dogs, crippled dear and since some of us have long driveways,  if I come home and see somethings out of order, I can block off the driveway and go check it out.  I'd rather have a rifle or shotgun in my hands than one of my favorite sixguns.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »
So if you have a CCP you can just leave it unloaded behind the seat? I know when hunting or other outdoor things in FL you can have it open carry.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
  Here in Mn. it's unloaded carry, For a long gun there is no carry permit your just not supposed to be nuts or a felon.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:12:45 AM »
When I had a gun in the car all the time it was in my Jeeps.
In the 89 Cherokee there was a trough between the door and the seat that held my rifle fine when I was out hunting.
most of the time it was my ruger bolt action, other times it was an M1 Garand.
Both unloaded but ammo in the door pocket.
The 95 Jeep I had a take down pump shotgun Stevens 520 that fit under the back seat in one of the divided sections.
It was unloaded and apart- after i found runst on it I pulled it out, cleaned it up, painted it flat black and put it in a water proof bag with ammo, at one time I vacumed sealed it but then found the water proof duffel bag.
there really was not a place to keep a gun in the My Japaneese Humvee, but am thining of putting one in the 300.
But after I had the first Jeep stolen, luckely I did not have any thing in the truck at the time, I am heasitant to leave anthing bbut a beater gun in the truck/ car.  Also they rust if not protected.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 04:32:57 AM »
I've got a Winchester 94 trapper carbine in 45 colt that i keep in the truck.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 07:19:30 AM »
Mossberg 590 A1 12/18.5 PRK/ADJ STOCK  :D

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »
My truck gun (actually, a Jeep gun) is a cased Ruger Blackhawk under the driver's seat.  It's loaded with 300 grn. hardcast flatpoints.  In the glovebox is a an LCP.  On my belt is an SR9c.  I'm like that about knives too.  Always a folder and a multitool in my pocket, 2 in the Jeep.  I have a sippered duffel behind the rear seat with everything else, like first aid, water, ammo, freeze dried meals, and stuff like that. 

My wife says I'm insecure.  I reckon she's right, but lots of times I'm not at home and need something, and yep, I have it in the Jeep.  If anyone ever breaks into my vehicle, I'm doomed until I can get to Gander Mountain.       

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
British Enfield No.4 MK1* unloaded w/ full clip in door compartment.
or a
M48a 8mm Mauser unloaded w/ 2 full stripper clips in door compartment.
    Ray

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »
18.5" 870 with 2 boxes of breneke black magic rifled slugs and a box of 00 buck.  Behind the seat of the truck and usually a large revolver in the center consol.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:50 AM »
 ;) As someone else pointed out my guns vary with the season, I never leave them in over nite, except in rare conditons...When I leave the house, I ALWAYS have a pistol..sometimes my S & W 3" 357, other times when I am headed into the country, I have two pistols, mostly a .357 and a .44 or 45 LC....if I plan on plinking also, I take a .22 pistol for my girl friend and one for my self..usually a k22 and a 22 kitgun..in the country a rifle ALWAYS goes along...except for big game season, it is usually a .22-250, .22-250 IMP.. Or a Swift..In additon I have been carrying my CZ .22 mag..for close shots...Except for special hunts, or bird season I don't ALWAYS have a shotgun in the pickup..BUT when I leave on a trip, I have a varmit rifle and an 870 SF 12 ga. in the cab and 2 large caliber pistols...others will be stored in cases in the back or in my travel trailer...

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
I have a Universal M1 carbine under the back seat of my pickup. Plenty of room in the compartment for that and mags, blanket, survival food and stuff. It's not easily accessable in an emergency, but the handgun of my fancy that day is. The carbine is like new from a pawn shop. It works good with the mags I have and if it gets ripped off or something, I'm only out 200.00 + mags.

" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline nessmuk101

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
Ruger 10/22 with a loaded clip in the door compartment.  The rifle is behind the back seat of the truck.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
I'm not much of a fan of shotgun pistol grips, but that is the nicest one I've ever seen. For sure. Nice shotgun!
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
Thanks Saddlebum.  I made that grip about 25 years ago.  I made the basic shape with a band saw and belt sander, then the rest was hand shaped with sand paper a little each night while watching TV in my easy chair.  I think I inletted it to the receiver with a wood chisel and my pocket knife.

In those days I couldn't afford a defensive weapon to take on trips for protecting the wife and kids, so I bought a riot barrel for $89 and converted my bird gun (different 870 back then).

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
Fantastic job on that grip Curtis.  I too aint a huge fan of pistol grip shotguns but that actually looks pretty sweet!  Maybe its just the fact that Old World Craftsmanship was involved in this case.  Its hard not to appreciate fine work like that.

Back to the original post.  I do keep an old Topper 88 12 guage in my truck 24/7.  In additon usually when I get in my truck to go some place the AR-15 in its soft sided case slides underneath the back seat ever so perfectly.  I also CCW with a 1911 in 45 ACP.  I have a small camo back pack that always accompanies me with several Mags and boxes of ammo for all three that gets locked in the drivers side of the tool box.

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:02 PM »
Wouldn't you know that the first time I see a shotgun grip I like, it just happens to be a one of a kind custom job!
Real nice work. I like everything about that grip!

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 03:17:19 AM »
So, how is a long guns carried for a truck or car gun?
The short shotgun used to ride uncased and loaded (4+ one and on safe) under the back seat of my extended cab truck.  If it was cased and/or unloaded I might as well not be carrying IMO.  Although my kids were young they had been raised around guns so I didn't have to worry about them touching it.

That worked great for many trips until we went to the beach and my 870 got full of sand.

I like everything about that grip!
I do too, Saddlebum.  Since I made it to fit my hand it is very comfortable to shoot even 3" loads.

Curtis