Author Topic: M94 after market rear sights?????  (Read 583 times)

Offline czvz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
M94 after market rear sights?????
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »
I have gotten out and shot my .30-30 M94 that I mentioned in a previous post and It is fast becoming my favorite "fun gun".  However with my 50+ year old eyes I'm having difficulty seeing the rear sight notch... (Need reading glasses).  What aftermarket sights would you recommend?  I have seen the Lyman and the Marble Tang sites, but developed pains in my chest when I saw the price!  Are there any other options for visually and financially challenged?

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: M94 after market rear sights?????
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
I highly recommend a Williams FireSight Peep Set ($53) - the one using the inexpensive 5D receiver peep sight that your gun is already prepped for (Williams item #70859), and includes a higher replacement fiber-optic front sight blade of the correct height for zeroing.

I buy mine directly from Williams Gun Sight Co, but MidwayUSA & Brownell's also carries them.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline czvz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »
Rangr44: Do I need to drill and tap for the Receiver mount?  My 94 was made in 1966.
thanx CZVZ

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »
No D/T necessary - If you check the rifle's left receiver wall, high and near the rear, you should see two small screw heads about 1/2" horizontally apart.  They are headless plud screws, that temporarily fill/plug the factory prep D/T'd holes for a reveiver peep sight sttachment.

Winchester's been prepping the Model 94 for a lotta years, and has only stopped in 1983 with the 94AE angle-eject models, which can take a peep sight in the rear scope mount prep holes.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !