Author Topic: Lee cutter and lock stud?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Lee cutter and lock stud?
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
Can anybody find these with the smooth shank anymore?  Seems everywhere I've tried to get one they just have the octagonal shank that is set up for a drill chuck.  I want the smooth one so I can turn threads on it and use it in my RCBS trim mate station.....

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Lee cutter and lock stud?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »
 I use the Lee system and actually set up with 3 seperate cutter heads ( it's just easier then swapping guides each time) and each of the 3 shanks are octagon.

Not sure how well that would work on a powder station? You'd hafta stop, mount the case then start again for each case.

I got the Zip Trim unit and it works slick. You can either mount it direct to the table or it has a hole in the side for a clamp, I use a long reach C-clamp that I modified on a grinder abit so the head would fit nice.
( I did have to sand the bottom of the housing to get it flat, it's plastic and the two halves didn't line up well on the bottom, a casting/molding issue, but there's plenty of material to work with )
 I just pull it out an clamp it to my work table, trim-chamfer an deburr with a few pulls of the string and done. Then put it away, it's not taking up extra space.  I like the Zip Trim because I can SEE that the case is indeed centered straight and spinning true before I apply the tools.

Another thing I really like about the Lee system is I don't have too mess with adjustment each time, the guide is set-up for sammi length for each cal and stops the cutting when it's the proper length, I do have my 223 set-up to trim .01 over sammi as both my 223's have really long chamber necks, it may not matter with that small amount but the point is you can modify the system to suit yer needs.
found elsewhere

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
Try annealing the handle, drill and tap then put stud in and screw into you trimming device.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »
I have one with a smooth shank.  PM me if you are interested in it.  I have no special attachment to it.