Author Topic: Has anyone used these shotgun shell adapters?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline joeyant

• Trade Count: (0)
Has anyone used these shotgun shell adapters?
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
http://www.gunadapters.com/

Basically shoot 410 or 20 gauge using a 12 gauge adapter.
Will this damage the bore of the barrel?

I also see rimfire and centerfire can be shot out of a shotgun shell
adapter but how accurate can the bullet be since it's like throwing
a hotdog down a hallway? I mean, the bullet will not stabilize because
it will not spin due to lack of rifling effect right?
SB1 and SB2 receivers
.223 bull barrel with scope rail
12, 20, and .410 gauge smooth bore barrels
(next on wish list: .357 and .44 mag barrels)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Has anyone used these shotgun shell adapters?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
I have one of those for shooting 38/357 out of a 12ga. The adapter is rifled so it will spin the bullet. Mine doesn't shoot good with 357's but shoots OK with 38 special ammo.
Shooting 410 or 20ga. shells out of a 12ga. barrel won't hurt anything but I wouldn't expect great patterns.

Spanky

Offline joeyant

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
I have one of those for shooting 38/357 out of a 12ga. The adapter is rifled so it will spin the bullet. Mine doesn't shoot good with 357's but shoots OK with 38 special ammo.
Shooting 410 or 20ga. shells out of a 12ga. barrel won't hurt anything but I wouldn't expect great patterns.

Spanky

Thanks for the quick reply.
I just stumbled upon this doing a Google search. It seems like a quick, painless, and cheap way to be able to
shoot different caliber bullets and shot from my existing NEF 12/20 gauge barrels.

It is getting harder and harder to find 357 or 44 mag barrels and the ones that do show up in the ads are snatched up within seconds or minutes of posting. Plus the law of supply vs demand has driven the prices really high, if you can get to them at all.

Did you notice any sound reduction firing a 38 special bullet and sending it down the barrel of your 12 gauge shotty?

Another advantage I can think of is portability. Instead of carrying 5 or 6 barrels with you to the field, you can just drop these adapters in your coat pocket and you're good to go.
SB1 and SB2 receivers
.223 bull barrel with scope rail
12, 20, and .410 gauge smooth bore barrels
(next on wish list: .357 and .44 mag barrels)

Offline Rotten RJ

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
  • Avid Poster
  • "Initial success or total failure."
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »
I have one for shooting 45 ACP in a 12 ga.  Accuracy is minute of soda can at 10 yards.  Now I admit that the bead sight on the 12 ga. shorty isn't condusive to pinpoint accuracy nor did I take the time to orient the sub-cal device in the 12 ga. chamber the same each shot whilst shooting from a standing unsupprted position..  I expect better results for the future as I've installed rifle sights on the barrel, marked a reference dot on the device and plan to benchrest it next session.  All in all lots of fun.  And is a great trainer for the novice shooter as well.
RJ
US Army (ret) EOD Master Blaster

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »
I haven't used this particular brand, but I do have a 20/28 Gauge Mate adapter that I bought from Cabelas.  I find that 28 ga shells fired thru this adapter in my 20 gauge barrel pattern just a well (maybe even a tad better) than they did in my old 28 gauge barrel.  So, to move down one shotgun size, I think these adapters should work fine.  But I seriously question the accuracy of a rifle bullet fired from one of the rifle bullet adapters. 

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:41:11 PM »
If you want accuracy of moderate usefulness you have to have sights, or scope, sighted in for the caliber and load, and an 'insert barrel' will be much better, even if only 12ish inches long.; lots more expensive though.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974