Author Topic: UV brightners and hunting clothing  (Read 482 times)

Offline lurcher

• Trade Count: (0)
UV brightners and hunting clothing
« on: February 18, 2004, 05:38:04 PM »
Do you guys believe in the theory that UV brightners used in normal washing detergents allow the deer to see you more easily?

I have some polarfleece hunting gear that I have used for waterfowling that I was going to wash in sport wash and then spray withy UV killer spray.

Does this UV killer spray actually work?

Thanks again for your insight.

Lurcher
New Zealand

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 07:23:55 PM »
Seems to have worked real good at making the fellow who came up with the theory rich. Other than that I say it is a crock. I use a pine cleaner (generic pine sol) to wash my clothes. Does a good job of cleaning them and imparts a bit of a pine ordor and here in the south you are never far from pines.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 05:18:31 AM »
I think GB is probably right. Think about it this way. First of all, deer are not supposed to be able to see colors as well as we do anyway, so I would imagine that if UV brightners did have a blueish hue to them, it would not be very noticeable to the deer.

What is most likely happening when a hunter gets spotted, is that first he moved, and got noticed. Then once the deer key on him, it only takes seconds before they recognize the head and shoulders outline and go on full alert. If you don't believe this next time a young deer spots you, stay motionless. The young ones usually will ignore you and go about their business as long as you stay still. It's the older ones who recognize your outline, primarily the head and shoulders.

It is ingrained in their genetics to be scared of man. I believe it's just basically movement or shape that gives us away. That's why I don't believe camo is very important. To me, any old camo will do, as long as it's not extremely dark, which again makes your shape easier to recognize.
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 07:00:06 AM »
I got a brand new bottle in my gun room  doing nothing

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 01:39:46 PM »
If you think there is something to the UV reflection just do as I did and wash your clothes in Ivory Snow detergent. It has no brighteners or whiteners. I did notice my hunting coat is not as bright.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein