Author Topic: Pawnshop 94 30/30  (Read 4029 times)

Offline johnnywad

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pawnshop 94 30/30
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
I think you done good!   ;D  I woulda snapped it up at that price.

The loss of blueing just gives it character.  But, if you're thinking of refinshing it, it seems to me there is something about the metalergy that makes that problematic on that era receivers...  :-\
That's a terrific buy. I think I would have made the kids go without milk to buy it! Haha (kidding) I have one as well. I have accurately ran the numbers through the Winchester Manufacturer Sight,and have found out that my rifle,had just turned 100 years old. It'll take that old buck down NO problem. I must concurr about the blueing.I tried it a few years back,and it came up looking like oil on water in a Marina.These guns I believe are worth getting done right,AND by the right people. I'm happy for you!

Offline trainsteeter

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
I have a model 94 handed down to me by my dad, I wouldn't take a million bucks for it.  I got me a mold and some triple seven and it's just like the old west around here.  I shoot a lot of different guns and the old lever gun is the most fun.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
brianscott12, a Lyman Model 66 Receiver Sight, and an XS front post will make a great shooter out of your Winchester. I have had one on my Model 94 for almost 40 years until recently when I switched to a Marbles Tang sight due to my aged eyes. It will make a 200 yard rifle out of it, and will show you the potential of a Winchester Model 94 3030.
Did you try Hornady LeveRevolution ammo in it yet?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 03:31:25 AM »
I did mine like Dee's(thanks Dee). 1942 m94 32 special with Lyman tang sight and XS post front sight. My everyday load for this gun is a 170 gr plain base cast bullet over 15 grs 4759. 1600 fps,no leading(sized .322) and 2" 3 shot groups all day long at 100 yds w/iron sights. This is more a fun gun and load but if I needed to take a deer or hog at 100 yds or less I"d do it and not many 2 legged critters give me a hard time when i'm totin it around 8)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »
brianscott12, a Lyman Model 66 Receiver Sight, and an XS front post will make a great shooter out of your Winchester. I have had one on my Model 94 for almost 40 years until recently when I switched to a Marbles Tang sight due to my aged eyes. It will make a 200 yard rifle out of it, and will show you the potential of a Winchester Model 94 3030.
Did you try Hornady LeveRevolution ammo in it yet?

Never have OSR. I just haven't seen the need. I shoot nuthin but 150s in it, simply because they have worked on everything since 1958. I've shot 170 gas check casts, and 100 grain cast for squirrel over the years, but my go to standard is the 150 grain jacketed soft point. I have a box of Nosler partition 170s I need to load one of these days. They would make a good big hog load in the brush I guess.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 12:59:01 AM »
Hi Guys! The reason is the receiver is bare metal is that for reasons of ecconomy winchester had these receivers cast. The alloy they used had a high silica  content and wouldn't take a caustic blue. So they plated the receiver with iron and then blued the iron. Problem is the iron is fairly thin and wears off or rusts off easily. The the receiver won't take a blue.. The are ways to blue the cast guns but it is so hard on expensive bluing salts that not many smiths will do it.. Also the coarse texture makes a slick finish nearly impossible to get. These 94's are mechanically a little different from the older guns and most action parts are stamped sheet metal. Still and all they work well enough. A simple fix for the receiver is a cheap plating kit and plate it gold, or silver or even copper... Also the safety you were talking about is located on the bottom of the rifle just where the rear of the trigger guard loop meets the lower tang.. It must be depressed before the trigger is free to move.. These as are most 94's are good working guns.. shoot straight and it'll do just fine.. I've several and they don't get shot. If a 94 is needed I use either the CanadianCentenial rifle (30-30) or the LegendaryFrontiersman (38-55). They were bought used and shoot better than I can use.. In the 30-30 I use a 170 Sierra in front of a stiff powder charge and it shoots quite good..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
Thanks guys. The barrell on this gun looks to be in excellent shape and it shoots really well. I haven't decided whether to keep it and put some nice sights on it or whether to trade it foes something else. I'm a big marlin fan but you can't beat the way the winny feels when toting it with one hand. I have not tried the hornady le in the 30/30 although before i started reloading that was what I used in my 45/70's and the worked really well.
To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Offline RicMic

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
I have been looking for a very good+ 94 pre-saftey (not pre '64) for about 5 years.  I'm not a collector, just wanted a pretty shooter.  Today was the day, $250 clean out the door.  It was made in '79.  Can't wait to shoot it!

RicMic

I aim to please - but often miss.

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
That's a nice lookin gun ric. Looks a lot better than mine. Let us know how it shoots.
To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.