Author Topic: Hog Hunting Handi?  (Read 6797 times)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Hog Hunting Handi?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
hey, yall do it the best way ya like....
i'll jus stick to my 45/70 and 1911 off tha ground !!!
i got to make my last years count for all my grand yung'uns ;)
these rrr's ( russian red razors) round here won't run from ya... there not
prone ta folks. and i've seen manya dog die from a gouge.these hawgs don't share pasture land wif cattle or other critters. they stays in there own world. and when you invade them...
they can and will make a stand.
maybe its jus becus they not use ta humans and there dogs.  you spook one... and its not run'n
from ya......no!!   its come'n at ya real quick like.

i can see jimbo's point of wo-out !!! makes sence..... these are fresh and ready to fight anything that riles them.

like i said... yall get'um your way.... and i'll do it my way. ;)

Doc
I gotta agree with you. I honestly believe that I have killed big hogs that have never laid eyes on a man. And those of you who have jumped hogs and had them run away --- congrats! My experience has been at best when I spook one he stands his ground. I have killed a lot with 22 mag and 223, but by and far I prefer my auto 30-06 with 180 grainers. I pack a very reliable handgun --- whichever I grab that day --- but is generally a 38 special or 22 auto. I shoot the -06 until it is empty and then an absolute last ditch is the pistol and at that point it is feet not yards between you and the hogs and only a brain shot will protect you anyway.

The closest I ever came was a boar cut my pants leg to shreds, but I did not know what he was there til the palmettos where flying around and I felt something hit my side. I never even so him.

I recommend whatever you shoot well and accurately. Chances are you will not need a back-up, but you MAY!

Daman

i can tell ya a fact there daman... you know as well as i do... our hawgs ain't like these folks hawgs. ours ain't used ta automobiles, 4-wheelers or much less anathang that can catch there
sence a smell. these ain't imports or partial domestic and i bet these folks ain't never felt that odd feel'n when one jus graze'ez your leg like we have.  they get some time in... maybe they'll experiance tha rush... i been do'n it for over 50 year and ya never thank
ya rule tha swamp... no!!!
maybe thats it !!! swamp hawgs vs field hawgs... ya know there isa big difference...
and i don't mean big in size  ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »
"bring to bear"
Nice pun!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »
Big Blue, I picked up one of the Trackers in 44 mag, 4", they are a nice light carry pistol for the field.  Starting to become my favorite bummin around pistol.  It snorts a bit with full house loads, but the ports help keep muzzle rise down.  That one I can carry on my belt, the Blackhawks and Redhawk are carried in shoulder holsters.  DP  Sorry to hijack the thread, guys.   DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline tjf76

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
I waiting for gendoc's next question to be "can you outrun your brother in law?"

No kidding! That"s a lot of beacon  :o

Offline purpledragon

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »
Take the 45-70, I have some 560gr FNGC cast with WW that are the best bullet I have ever used on hogs.I think one of these with max load will stop a cape buffalo................
This only proves that,when allowed to act outside his lawfully limited authority,a U.S. President is capable of unleashing horrendous violence against the lives,liberty,and property of those he pretends to serve...........

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
My newest hog gun has turned out to be my 45 LC that I just aquired last month.

Already accounted for 5 hogs, and the latest one came this morning as I was out walking the creek bottom and came across a sounder of hogs that never knew I was there.

I shot a 150 lb. (est.) sow across the creek at about 65 yards and the 300 grain XTP behind the ear put her down like a sledge hammer.  The classic carbine is becoming my favorite Hog gun, and may just become my favorite deer rifle also.

This rifle is so new I'm still trying to determine what bullets and loads shoot the best, and have found a couple good combinations so far, and my next project is to replace the cheap scope I've got on her now for some better glass.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »
I got a BC last month, too.  Thought it might be a bit light for hogs.  Looks like I'm wrong.  Not many in my neighborhood though, I'm just north of Houston... 

Just put an old Simmons 4x32 Prodiamond shotgun scope on in low rings without bobbing the hammer any.  Not an expensive scope, but compact; seems to fit nice.  What kind of scope are you getting for yours? 
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2011, 03:21:33 AM »
I got a BC last month, too.  Thought it might be a bit light for hogs.  Looks like I'm wrong.  Not many in my neighborhood though, I'm just north of Houston... 

Just put an old Simmons 4x32 Prodiamond shotgun scope on in low rings without bobbing the hammer any.  Not an expensive scope, but compact; seems to fit nice.  What kind of scope are you getting for yours?

It's in no way too light for hogs, and only maybe if you used some of the manufactured pistol ammo it might be if you don't shoot them at close pistol ranges.

The big difference is when you reload for it you can push velocities to around 1600 ft. per sec. and that with a 250 to 300 grain bullet will handle just about anything out to 100 to 125 yards.

What I like is the compactness and mild recoil even with the hot loads it's not going to loosen your filings, and the report isn't all that loud either.

I'm going to put a Redfield 2-7 x 33 scope ($149) on it as it won't break the bank and it's a compact scope similar to the one I have on it now, but with better glass, as the scope I have now is terrible with my old eyesight and I need all the help I can get.

So you don't have many hogs north of Houston?....Hummm, we've got an over abundance of them here south of San Antonio so maybe we can ship you some and the folks around here won't mind a bit! ;D
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline CJD

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »
I'm in Texas and have hunted pigs quite a bit. I've killed them with my bow (ground shot), a Ruger Model 1 in .25/06, 3.5" 12 gauge shotgun slugs, and, most recently, my Survivor .308. I won't be breaking ground here to repeat the mantra " it's about shot placement".

The .308 through the head at 100 yds killed it very dead, not so much as a twitch. I know people who kill them with .223 rounds with some regularity, but you better hit them in the ear hole or there abouts.

It is true that they can be very aggressive and can absorb a tremendous amount of abuse and keep moving. We have butchered some to find broadheads, shot pellets, and all kinds of wounds that would seem to have been fatal. Now anyone who has skinned a boar will tell you about the thick ( I've seen it more than 1" thick) mass of cartilage that covers their shoulders and about a third of their back.

While duck hunting I had one come to water about 10 yards from where I was standing, camoed and against a tree. I had 3" number 2 shot in the 12 gauge gun, but rather than hit it in the head I was too far back and caught him in the shoulder.  He took the load without so much as a flinch, turned and stormed right at me. I didn't even have time to pump in another round. For some reason he got a couple of feet away, cut hard and ran back into the thick stuff. Maybe he couldn't make me out with the camo, tree background or whatever. He wouldn't have picked up any movement because I was locked-up scared.

Anyhow, they are a real scourge and cause millions in crop damage. Fun to hunt and excellent to eat. Go get 'em!

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
I've heard tell that in a last resort reach around behind you, grab a turd and throw at them...It is guaranteed  the turd WILL be there...
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline CJD

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
I was duck hunting in camo overalls. Coudn't get down there fast enough to get a hold of one to throw at him. But yeah, they were there all right.

Offline michstew

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
Sure would LOVE to kill some here in Michigan!!  Sightings in my county and others but NO pigs in my neck of the woods. All I have is Lions, coyotes, bear, and Grey Wolves. Forgot about the Feral cats.  michstew

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2011, 12:08:31 PM »
  Ive never shot hogs before and always wonder why noone recomends a good deer cartridge for hunting hogs?  I would think a .308 or .30-06 would do a good job or is it that flat bullets do better?

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2011, 12:11:48 PM »
Believe me if you had a hog problem like we've got down here in Texas and have seen what damage they can do, you wouldn't wish for them, or even upon your enemy.

They are a scourge on the earth to put it mildly.

The place I hunt is a creek bottom that is heavily wooded that runs like a ribbon of cover over miles of farm and ranch land that is mostly agricultural fields planted in peanuts, wheat, oats and hay fields.

These hogs have everything they need and think they live in paradise.

I can go into that creek bottom most any time of the day or night on any given day and walk up on at least one if not three separate sounders of all sizes.

The neighboring ranchers have used helicopters to shoot them and trapping is a daily routine as well as shoot on sight, and we haven't even put a dent in them.

Last year I thought I was getting the upper hand, but then deer season came around and there was more hogs sighted than the previous year and I had taken out probably around 50 personally.

They are fun to hunt, but I can't even begin to explain how much damage they've done to the property I'm hunting on, and the fact that they will and do eat fawns and newborn calves when the opportunity arises, not to mention dieseases they carry is even more of a reason to wage war on those hogs.

No, I don't think you want them because a breeding pair can open a big can of worms in a short amount of time.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
  Ive never shot hogs before and always wonder why no one recommends a good deer cartridge for hunting hogs?  I would think a .308 or .30-06 would do a good job or is it that flat bullets do better?

Most people use the standard deer rifle and the black rifles are popular when follow up shots are likely especially from aircraft or hunting open fields, but in the brush I like a big slow bullet where a not so well placed round will still have an effect.

Shotguns and slugs and the bigger calibers work well in close, and in my case where I hunt there are farm houses and cattle, and horses that may be on the adjoining pastures or on the property so something big and slow is preferred, that can't be easily deflected by a twig or small branch, and one that isn't going to go zinging out into the country side is preferred, especially when you have to get into the thick stuff where the hogs like to hang out.

Everyone has their preference of course, and I've used about every type of gun and caliber, even the semi autos, but I still prefer my single shot, and I never feel under gunned, and I carry my 40 caliber Glock, which travels with me at all times and is my concealed carry pistol anyway.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »

hey that there pro-diamond will do tha job real gud !!!!
don't cha jus luv that easy adjustable rear focus eyepiece  ;D
thats why i own many..... ;) not ta mention tha clear view an strong built of'um.

vp-wmr

marlin 989-m2

10/22

and sum others, but i can't find tha pitchers
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Handi Man

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »
44 MAG 240 JHP STOPS ALL HERE IN GEORGIA...........

Offline Antietamgw

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
I've never hunted them, at least by choice - but always wanted to. I've raised enough of them over the years to know what they can do to pasture or cropground if they get loose. Maybe that why I wanted to hunt them - just to put a bullet in one that hasn't already cost me a small fortune! I feel  for folks trying to farm in areas where they have feral hogs. It wouldn't take many to cause some serious damage. I saw something on feral hogs in Hawaii, by National Geographic maybe 10 years ago . . Said they wanted ALL the hogs killed due to the damage the caused. Surprised me to hear that on a National Geographic show back then. Made good sense, but not very tree-hugger friendly. Maybe one of them tried to give a little piggy a pat on the head... I thought all hog hunting would be in the thick stuff. A friend mentioned that in the Florida strawberry fields where he went you had to expect long shots. Hogs don't see well, guess they didn't think to watch the wind. Either way, 40 feet or 400 yds, I'd like to hunt some hogs one day.
Keep your plow share and your sword - know how and when to use them.