Author Topic: Buffalo Classic 45LC  (Read 694 times)

Offline tracyj

• Trade Count: (0)
Buffalo Classic 45LC
« on: April 02, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
Could someone tell me if the Buffalo Classic is equivalent to an SB2 frame if it is chambered in 45LC.  I know it comes in either 45-70 or 45LC and I'm assuming the 45-70 is equivalent to SB2.  I don't think they would have different receivers for that model but I'm not sure.

thanks

Tracy

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Buffalo Classic 45LC
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
Welcome Tracy,
The frames are the same.
Check out the FAQ's sticky... it'll tell you everything you need to know about Handi's. :D

Spanky

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:02:39 PM »
Chamber ream to 454 then you will have long colt,all other are just colt or 45acp the 45 colt government is long gone

Offline Gohon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:41:20 AM »
No, the 454 Casull is not a 45 long Colt.  It is a 454 Casull.  What should a 308 Winchester be called?........a 30-06 short.  Or the 360 S&W......maybe a 45 extra long Colt.  The designation ".45 Long Colt" originated among military personnel to prevent confusion with the shorter-cased .45 Schofield which could be fired in the 45 Colt despite it's larger rim diameter, as both were in service and issued at the same time.  Yes, the 45 Colt Government is gone but it did exist on store shelves well up to the end of WWI.  It was in fact nothing but a 45 Colt short as it had the exact same rim diameter as the 45 Colt, even the head stamps were the same and when someone ask for a box of 45 Colt, they generally applied the word short or long to ensure they got what they wanted.  It was not a manufacturing term but simply a user applied term.  Today's use of the term 45 Long Colt or just 45 Colt is simply a matter of personal preference and everyone knows what either term means.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
the modern Long Colt designation was Ruger and Colts "Mistake".  at some point the sales guys at Ruger put the word "Long Colt" in their sales catalog. the marketing guys a Colt saw that and not to be outdone used the "long Colt" designation. kind of a stab at " if you are using long words so are we". when the brass at Colt saw it they put the squash on the LC. but Rugers used it off and on for years, and so have some ammo manufactures. So blame the marketing guys!

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
The 45 LC isn't going anywhere soon so no problem there with ammunition, and if you reload with the right powders and bullets, you can approach pretty close to what the 454 Casull will do, but if you just really need more power then the best step up from the 45 LC would be another Handi in 45-70, which can darn near do it all!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
Also known as the 45-70 Gov., shortened by some of my friends to just 45 Gov.  ;)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
 45 long colt was part of sam's brilliance , both the Schofield and the colt were in service, both were 45's colt made his longer so his pistol could fire both ammo's (in those days the military minded their budget) altho the Schofield was a superior design for a calvary pistol his design won on logistics.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten