Author Topic: 28g  (Read 958 times)

Offline kf4ocv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
28g
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
How many out there like the 28g?  I been thinking of purchasing one.
Chris

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: 28g
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:25:27 AM »
Had a 28 ga factory fitted to my SB2 rifle.
Shot a lot of released quail with it.
Had a lot of fail-to-fires with it; too many for what you pay for the shells.
Very limited choice of shells; probably would have like it better if I could have reloaded for it.

If I had to do it over, I would go with a 20 gauge.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
had one a couple years back , let a guy talk me out of it , right now iam goin to send a reciever  in and get a 28 fitted, i liked it alot, yes factory shells are a tad high and notto easy to find much , but i like it  hahahah ill start reloading after i gather up a couple hundred rounds ,

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:15:44 AM »
I have a 22" 28ga. The wife and I both love it, she got her first turkey at 20yrds. with it, shooting 1oz.#6shot.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:36:13 AM »
I have one and it's a great gun, little recoil and much more punch than a .410, very close to the effects of a 20 gauge at the target. Shells are easy to find around here and inexpensive. No FTF's with mine, very reliable. The remarks about the FTF's are the first I have ever heard of with a H&R 28 gauge....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:20 AM »
If, you are going to do high volume shooting (skeet) without reloading then you are looking at quite an expense as compared to the 20 gauge.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:24:35 AM »
I had one and loved it. If 28 was legal for turkeys in my state I'd still have it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:52:56 AM »
Unless you are a high volume shooter, it is great. Much better than a 410, and if you have to buy factory loads, not more expensive. Unless you reload , it can get pricey if you shoot a lot, under those circumstances a 20 would be better. Very happy with mine.
remember the starfish

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »
 ;) While this is a NEF?H&R thread, I have a 28 ga. in an 870...While I have shotguns from the 28 to 10ga. and often or mostly shoot 12's, I have used the 28 ga. a great deal for forest grouse and sage grouse..honestly I really like it..It has killed sage grouse to 40 yds. stone dead with a 3/4 oz. load of 6's...Now grouse are not as difficult to take down as phesants, but it is still impressive...If I were going to do a bunch of beagle hunting for bunnies, or ruffed grouse shooting in the east, I would certainly use my 28 ga. Over the years, I have bought a bunch of 28 ga. ammo from the 3/4 to full 1 oz. loads..most of my shooting has been with the 3/4 oz. loads..One place I found the 28 lacking was shooting desert quail in Az. I had toooooo many cripples for constant use...BUT I wasn't hunting over a pointer, but my goldens who flush..so ranges were a bit longer than with a pointer, also I used only the 3/4 oz. loads of 7 1/2's...at that time I did not have the  1 oz. loads..except for those wild desert quail, or maybe roosters late in the season..I think a guy would really enjoy the 28..I have several 20's in the 870 and I usually use the 28 in rather than the 20, if I feel I need more than the 28, I mostly move up to the 12 with at least an 1 1/4 of shot......

Offline kf4ocv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas.  I will probably get one but my 20g 158 topper will always be my favorite shot gun.  It absolutely kills my teenage daughter if she misses a skeet with the pump and I take it out with my little single shot.  She makes all manners of fun till the hammers DROPS.  LOL
Chris

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:07:46 AM »
I have a 28 ga and love it. A much better tree rat getter than my 410, and good for rabbits  and grouse.Able ammo has 28 ga ammo at very reasonable prices.(RIO brand) They shoot good and come in different loads and shot sizes.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »
The 28 gauge RIO ammo is what I get for a very reasonabe price, and it works fine. Before I got my 28 I was really worried about the cost of ammo from what I read here and other places but with the availibility of the RIO brand ammo that is no longer a problem. If you want an even better deal just wait until it's on sale a buy several boxes at a time....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley