Author Topic: 357 Magnum muzzle blast  (Read 2997 times)

Offline QuailKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
357 Magnum muzzle blast
« on: April 12, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
I was looking at a new Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel at a gun shop the other day and I really thought that it would make a great trail gun, woods gun, concealed carry gun, and pretty much good for everything except grizz.  I really like the small size of this gun, and I feel like I could carry it everywhere with me without too much trouble.

The problem is, I have never been a really big fan of the 357 because of the muzzle blast and loud report.  The only 357 I have shot was a Ruger blackhawk with a 6.5 inch barrel, with 125 grain soft points.  I thought the blast and recoil was worse than most 44magnum loads I have shot.  Also, I have been at the range at times when people were shooting short barreled 357s that were much louder than high powerd rifles.

I guess my main question is, are there any good stout loads that could be used in the 3" sp101 that would tame down the muzzle blast?  I was wondering if some 180 hard cast loads would have less blast. 

If I got this gun, I would shoot 38 specials a lot, but I would also like to practice with magnums, since thats what I would be carrying in the hills.  I have no interest in some gun that I have to have plugs and muffs on just to shoot without pain to my ears.  I really want to like this gun, but maybe it just isn't for me.

Thanks for any help.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 357 Magnum muzzle blast
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:01 PM »
i carry a 2 inch 357

the blast and fire ball....are a bonus

yes it is extreemly loud
and if i need it for self defence......
...the bigger my hand held '' flash bang grenade''  the better

yes the  180 grain  quiet  it a little
don't shoot  ANY handgun with out ear and eye protection
the few  if any shots fired in self defense  won't matter

i seldom shoot 38s
i hit a paper plate at 50 yards half the time...with full power 357
17 ounce  ruger LCR
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
Yep, the .357 does have a crack to it. I hope you're wearing hearing protection when shooting any gun for fun. If you ever have to use the gun in an emergency that's another story. For practice, hearing protection is no hassle, and you'll need it for sure when shooting your SP. A .357 is a .357 is a .357. The muzzle blast and recoil are part of the experience. I'd shoot enough full loads to familiarize myself with their point of impact, then do your fun practice with .38s. Excellent choice for a compact carry revolver!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline QuailKiller

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.  Before this thread continues any further, I would like to mention that I always wear ear plugs and eye protection when shooting.  Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.  What I meant was, I don't like guns that are so loud that I have to put ear plugs in and then put ear muffs on over the top just to keep my ears from ringing. 

However, I have been known to take a pot shot or two at a grouse while out in the woods with a handgun without hearing protection.  I know this is a no no, and from the sounds of things, I think it would be a serious no no with a short 357.  I have thought about getting a pair of those electronic ear plugs that go automatically shut off the sound, but I am afraid that the NRR of these things isn't enough to tame a short 357.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 02:59:23 AM »
QuailKiller - My favorite 357 is a S&W M28 (large N-frame) with a 3.5" barrel.  I tried some of the high speed hollowpoints, the 110 and 125 grain pills and was neither pleased or satisfied with the results - too loud, too much recoil/snap, so I went back to a load I used years ago when I would shoot metallic handgun silhouette with a 4" M19 357.  I used a 200 gn cast semi-wadcutter over a Winchester factory powder charge and the accuracy and performance was superb.  This is the only load I use now in the 357.  I use the same slug in the 38 spl over another Winchester factory powder charge really do not care to shoot anything else unless I am just cleaning out old inventory or messing around.

When I carry the 357 hunting or the 38 in my pocket they are loaded with the Winchester factory powder charges.  My Winchester load data shows the 357 loading to run at 35,000 cup pressure while the 125 gn loads run to 42,500 cup pressure, a significant difference especially when used in a short barrelled revolver.  You may wish to give the heavier loads a try.  HTH.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:28:51 AM »
you choice of guns is good

just adjust ammo  for the situation
or just settle on a heavy  reduced powdered 357

heavy slugged 38  for small game

some people are happy with ported guns in this caliber

but  i HATE  ports
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:07:10 AM »
I've found loading with HS-6 can give some accurate results.  When using this powder, the blast is decreased a lot, especially with cast bullets.  The only drawback is that cast bullets and HS-6 leads to a LOT of smoke, if that bothers you a bit.  Unique and cast bullets does about the same too.

I think that anything you do with a 3" barrel is going to give you noise.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 06:14:41 AM »
 ;) The crack of the .357 also hurts my ears, even with protection in them..but some of my favorite pistols are that caliber..i would say I carry it more than any other caliber I have...mostly my Smith model 60...my usual load is Rem. 125 grain Fac. hp...I have several handloads that  I use for pratice with this caliber...that shoot to the same point of aim...in the fall I have a grouse load that does fine for making these tasty birds into supper..For 90 percent of my shooting the .357 loaded with 38 spl.s does the trick..I seldom go for full power .357 loads...when i want to move up to that level, I usually opt for one of my 44's or a '45....however, I live in a very low crime area..my biggest concern for safety is stray dogs, a the odd mt. lion that may wander into to town in the winter, etc...when I go to big bear country, I want more than my .357..really more than my .44..a .375 or .45-70 makes me really feel comfortable, but they are difficult to pack while fishing...

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »
Yes the 357 Mag has some loud muzzle blast, just like the 30 Carbine in the Ruger Blackhawks.  I have not had to use ear plugs and ear muff when shooting mine, it is one or the other, with no problem.  I have a set of electronic ear muffs I use for hunting, the walker game muffs. They work great for all my handgun including my S&W 460 Mag, which I feel has a  lot more muzzle blast over the 357 mag.

You can try a heavier bullet and a few different powders, but the light weight bullets in the 357 Mag seems to always have a louder muzzle blast. Try some IMR 4227 in your 357 Mag  with some 158 gr. and heavier bullets.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 07:18:35 AM »
I realize that the original question and comments are not referring to home defensive use but I always find it funny that a lot of people choose a short barreled .357 for home protection.  While the gun may handle nicely and the round itself is quite effective, I simply cannot imagine firing a .357 mag round from a tiny gun in the confines of a house at an intruder in somewhat dark conditions. (if it were at night)  Obviously the shooter wouldn't have ear protection on since it would be an emergency situation.  After one's eyes have recovered from the muzzle blast, one might be able to fire a second round, if needed, at the intruder.  However, I would think that after the first round, the person defending him/herself would be on the ground in extreme pain from the shock to their ears.  I would hope that people using something like this for home defense would be smart enough to know that a .38 will certainly do the trick and spare themselves of excessive flash and noise.

I have to say, however, a lot of people that I've heard mention using a stubby .357 for home defense aren't really regular shooters to begin with so that would only figure.  They probably don't realize what a loud crack the round has.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
i can anticipate the blast  and flash
THEY CAN'T

i feel that gives me an advantage

i get 1250 fps out of the short barrel

as to the original question

if not a 357....what else fits your pocket that  is in consideration
nothing that i can think  of......maybe a charter bulldog in 44 special
i have 2 of those.....but much prefer my  357 ..ruger lcr   and a  smith 640

Offline QuailKiller

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
Thank you all for the good info.  It really helps a lot.  That gives me a lot to think about and a lot to experiment with if I do decide to buy the gun.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
I won't speak to the muzzle blast and recoil as the are obvious to the caliver but to the carry aspect. I carry my SP101 3" barrel every day and all the time and it dissappears in an IWB holster as far as I'm concerned as well as my J-framed Smith 38 special 2" barrel did. I wear shorts and untucked t-shirt in the summer most of the time and never feel like I'm printing. I think you'll like the gun. I'd buy it. Charlie 
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 07:39:11 AM »
All good info here. My old hot loads for .357 158 gr SWC running 1550 fps. Blast wasn't bad but the recoil took some getting used to. I was shooting in in a K frame though the load was made for an N frame. It was the old TX Highway Patrol load. Heard it was a good SD and deer load. Only live target I shot with it was a squirrel. It disembowled it and made a mess.

Offline 3leggedturtle

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
A 180gr RFN hard cast at 900fps will punch thru 8 inches of green Poplar and not ruin your ears if you have to shoot in a emergency situation.  Out of a 4 inch barrel by the way.  Ears still ring but goes away after a few hours.

Offline Keith1

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 07:50:31 PM »
The crack of the 357 has always reminded me of the crack of the old 5 inch 38 cal naval duel purpose gun. Both have ear splitting cracks.

Regards, Keith

Offline deerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »
I have read in Handloader magazine that using Accurate #9 has the effect of taming muzzle blast a bit in the 357.  I picked up a pound to try it and see, I will let you know if I see a big difference.  right now I am using 2400 and lead 158 swcs in my 357 reloads.

Offline QuailKiller

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
I have read in Handloader magazine that using Accurate #9 has the effect of taming muzzle blast a bit in the 357.  I picked up a pound to try it and see, I will let you know if I see a big difference.  right now I am using 2400 and lead 158 swcs in my 357 reloads.

Thanks for the reply.  It ought to be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in the sound.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 09:05:46 PM »
  Having fired a three inch GP-100 with Federal 125's inside a room, I can say with certainty that there is NO ignoring the results.  You'll have bright spots in your eyes for some while, my hearing was instantly gone, came back slowly over a three hour period, the ringing took a bit longer to go away.  I suffered permanent hearing damage, can't hear highs as well and the direction that certain sounds are coming from I cannot always say.  Plus P 38's are no picnik but would be much preferred over full power .357 loads.   

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »
  Having fired a three inch GP-100 with Federal 125's inside a room, I can say with certainty that there is NO ignoring the results.  You'll have bright spots in your eyes for some while, my hearing was instantly gone, came back slowly over a three hour period, the ringing took a bit longer to go away.  I suffered permanent hearing damage, can't hear highs as well and the direction that certain sounds are coming from I cannot always say.  Plus P 38's are no picnik but would be much preferred over full power .357 loads.

That's what I was trying to warn above.  Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation demented but I'm glad there is someone to back up this point of safety.  Pretty much any gun is going to be very loud in a small room but a .357 from a short barrel is going to flash and definitely do some damage to one's ears. 

If in defending one's self one gets permanently injured by his or her own hands, I'd say that's not a very efficient form of defending one's self.  I'd say a different choice of firearm or ammo would be best for closed quarters.....or a big, mean dog, or a baseball bat, etc.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 03:51:53 AM »
I have shot a 6 inch ruger Blackhawk, a Smith 4 inch model 28 and a Smith .327 mag.
The Smith .327 mag is by far the loudest and falshier of them, that I have shot.
That little port at the end is the culprit.
Blesssings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 07:10:58 AM »
I have shot a 6 inch ruger Blackhawk, a Smith 4 inch model 28 and a Smith .327 mag.
The Smith .327 mag is by far the loudest and falshier of them, that I have shot.
Blesssings
A .30 M1 Carbine fired from a Blackhawk loaded with H-110, 296, or 2400 is absolutely brutal on the ears too.  If in a dark area, the flash is unreal, even from a 7.5 inch barrel.  Appears like two coffee cans of flame.  It's probably the loudest and brightest flashing pistol I've ever seen/heard.  A .357 mag loaded with the same powders does about the same and I understand a hot loaded 32-20 does close to the same as well.

Something about those narrow but long cartridges gives a loud crack and flash.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »
Blesssings

i  think  i mention  here once....

I HATE PORTS

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
I bought a 3" SP101 for almost the same reasons you are considering one. It's built like a tank, easy to maintain, carries well, and tosses a potent round. I just traded it in last week for a Glock 22. For some reason I couldn't hit the side of a barn with the SP101, and I tried handloads, mild 38's, etc. I do fine with a S&W J-frame. To me, the muzzle blast and recoil were formidible, I can only imagine how bad it would be in a room. My 686 357 mag is solely for hunting, the S&W 637 38 special is for concealed carry, and the Glock is for the bedside or when things really crash and concealed carry just don't matter any more!

If you get the SP101 I have a pancake holster for sale!  ;D

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 07:48:36 AM »
I've had the 3" S&W m60 in 357 (my trail gun ,24 oz.) for several yrs. and have used 185 gr. cast and #9 powder for right at 900 fps,  Blast and recoil are not bad.  Last week I bought the same gun but with a 5" barrrel, 28 oz., shot it yesterday with the same load, forgot my plugs on the 1st shot, not something you'd want to do over and over but not bad, no ringing after.
It's very accurate with that load. I've used the 200 gr. cast with that same load and about the same accuracy.
I love that 3" but it may get replaced now with the 5" and a 185 cast @ 1000 fps.
H08

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 05:32:44 AM »
To each his own...   I've fired .357 full house loads from 2", 3.5", 4", 6" and 18" barrels (Timberwolf carbine) - I personally enjoy the "blast" - some things take a bit of getting used to. 
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Pulp

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
Stay away from Tite-Group unless you really like loud reports.
Pulp, SASS#28319

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
A 357 is loud?  Huh?  What? ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
if not a 357....what else fits your pocket that  is in consideration
nothing that i can think  of......maybe a charter bulldog in 44 special
i have 2 of those.....but much prefer my  357 ..ruger lcr   and a  smith 640

When I first got my permit I carried in my jacket pocket; after all, all the gunwriters claim they do it.  That didn't last long.  Now I carry in the inside top left pocket of my coats, during cold weather; or, in the pocket I put in the top left of my denim jacket to make a concealed carry vest, in warm weather.  Now I can quickly and easily access my piece even inside a vehicle.  I'd thought about a shoulder holster, but passed on one of those because of the chance of my jacket or vest flapping open, showing I carry. 

I don't like the lead buildup from shooting .38s in my Ruger, so am getting a S&W clone in .38 Long Colt, which should be great with .38 Special wadcutters.

A bit off subject maybe, but a few weeks ago a hiker in one of Alaska's parks killed an unruly grizzly with a .45 auto.  Nine rounds, the bear turned and left, and died a few hundred feet away.   
Theo - Located just east of Raleigh, NC, USA
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax