Author Topic: Case Life?  (Read 552 times)

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Case Life?
« on: April 02, 2011, 04:38:23 AM »
Is there a point at which you throw away your cartridge cases?  I've heard some folks say they do so after about 10 firings.  I have some straight-wall pistol cases that are approaching 10 firings.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Re: Case Life?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 04:46:29 AM »
 :D Dovehunter, I usually do not pitch cases until they split..but I am careful to use new or nearly new case when hunting big game...

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »
I have some 45acp brass that has been loaded 15 or 16 times.
Only splits and loose primer pockets send brass to the "bucket".
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:31:22 AM »
I wait until my .357 cases split.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:27 AM »
I will usually wear out the primer pocket before splitting a neck.  Then they go in the scrap bucket.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:33:30 AM »
I will usually wear out the primer pocket before splitting a neck.  Then they go in the scrap bucket.

Same here...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  It looks as if you guys do about the same thing I do - throw out the splits cases and save the rest.  I usually replace the split cases with a once-fired case of the same brand.

Regarding the primer pockets, I don't recall ever experiencing a loose primer pocket in a metallic case, either in my straight-wall pistol cases or my bottle-necked rifle cases.  I have experienced this occasionally with shotshell cases.  Even with those, however,  the crimps usually deteriorate long before the primer pockets get loose.  Interesting.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  It looks as if you guys do about the same thing I do - throw out the splits cases and save the rest.  I usually replace the split cases with a once-fired case of the same brand.

Regarding the primer pockets, I don't recall ever experiencing a loose primer pocket in a metallic case, either in my straight-wall pistol cases or my bottle-necked rifle cases.  I have experienced this occasionally with shotshell cases.  Even with those, however,  the crimps usually deteriorate long before the primer pockets get loose.  Interesting.

It ALL depends on the pressures your loading to. My 38 Spls, 45 ACPs, 9MMs and 32L's never seem to wear out, but I have ALLOT of them. My 357, 44, 41 Mags and hot loaded 45L Colts all eventually get loose primer pockets. My hipowerd rifles also get loose pockets after a while.

Lite loads last FAR longer!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
One day I threw away all the military 30-06 cases that I had necked down to 25-06.  They were failing regularly after many  loadings and I had an ample supply of factory cases in that caliber.  Only time I've ever thrown out good cases that I remember.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »
8You have to be better organized than I am to keep your cases in separate lots and know how many times each lot has been loaded.

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
8You have to be better organized than I am to keep your cases in separate lots and know how many times each lot has been loaded.

I thought everyone did this.  Most loading manuals advocate keeping all cases from the same lot together and keeping track of the number of times they've been fired.  Maybe I've been guilding the lily all this time.