Author Topic: A nice score  (Read 599 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
A nice score
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
Long story short, we had a tornado move threw SW, PA last week, and my wife ended up with two flat tires. Today I took them in to be repaired, and thought going to the Tire shop anyway, I see if he will sell me some weights. I keep buckets and my Game scale in the truck, you never know were you will find Lead.
He had two 5 gallon buckets nearly full, over a hundred pounds. As I paid for the tires, I ask what he wanted for the weights. He said I could just have them, no charge for the weights.
Not a bad day at all.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: A nice score
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
Some people have all the luck...  :'(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:30 PM »
  On a whim. I stopped at a tire dealer out in the sticks. Miles from anything else. I asked if he had any salvaged WW laying around.
  He said ya an how Manny did i need. I naturally said all he had. Well he had 5 or 6 boxes 50lbs each overthrew, an a couple full buckets somewhere around here.
  I told him that I didn't have any cash with me but I would be back on Pay Day to pick up a 100$ worth. an guaranteed him I'd be back to pick up the rest in 2 weeks. As I turned to walk out I asked how much a Lb. He said he gets 20 cents a lb from salvage so thats what he wanted from me. I can't weight to go back.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 02:58:30 AM »
20 cents a pound sounds about right, the last ones I bought off this guy 2 years ago were 15 cents a pound then. But like everything else the price has gone up.
Melting these down, there seems to be a lot more steel and zinc weights mixed in.
I ended up with 76 pounds of ingots out of two five-gallon buckets. So not a bad haul for free W/Ws.

Offline TRIGGERTIME

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
I spent 8 hours last weekend helping a friend move.  He is a contractor, and I had asked him to be on the lookout for lead. He had about 80 Lb +/- from a shower pan in his scrap pile.  As we began moving things into the attached garage of his new home I said 'what are these'. They were 14 Lb bricks of lead! Eleven of them! The car didn't steer very well on the way home, but I made it.