Author Topic: Smartphone GPS  (Read 1041 times)

Offline jrnsuz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Smartphone GPS
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
I have recently read several articles regarding GPS apps for smartphones. Claims have been made that the most recent apps work the same as a dedicated GPS device, although I'm sure with more limited functions.

Since I'm finally considering a cell phone upgrade, is it worth going to a higher end phone that can handle these new apps and have expandable memory, or are these apps just another money-maker for somebody?

" It's not the dope on the rifle, it's the dope behind it! " GySgt Harrison

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Smartphone GPS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »
I am not much help but you might want to see what the gps manufactures are offering to support Smartphones.  Here is a link to Garmin’s plug and play Bluetooth application for Smartphones. 
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=9796&ra=true

In part a quote from Garmin:

“Turn your smartphone into a GPS navigator with Garmin Mobile 10 for smartphones. Garmin Mobile 10 is a plug-and-play navigation solution that includes a portable receiver and preloaded card with map and navigation software. Look up addresses and get voice prompted turn-by-turn directions on your smartphone plus access to dynamic content such as traffic, fuel prices, weather and more. And with no recurring subscription fees, you can make the most of your phone while you’re on the go.
Enjoy Easy Set-up
Garmin Mobile 10 makes it easy to add GPS navigation to your Bluetooth®-enabled smartphone. Simply insert the preloaded data card in your phone, and the application automatically installs itself and connects with the GPS 10x receiver. Garmin Mobile 10 seamlessly integrates with major smartphone platforms, so you can get the most out of your smartphone.”
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Smartphone GPS
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »
The gps units are pretty cheap at pawn shops. $35-50 vs. $200 or more for a smart phone. As for apps I have never used one, but google maps website on my iPhone is exactly like my Tom Tom. Shows a little dot running down the road real time. It also has satelite, map or hybrid views. Personally I would just buy a gps because it is cheaper, but the google maps I use is just as good for driving directions.
Molon labe