Author Topic: Have you ever crimped a cast bullet on the lube groove???  (Read 1294 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Have you ever crimped a cast bullet on the lube groove???
« on: April 08, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
Hi All,

When I load 300gr XTPs in my 44, there are two crimp grooves and I use the lower one to get a longer cartridge which I find helps with accuracy.   I now bought a few hundred .475cal bullets for my 480Ruger.  They are 375gr LWNGC.  They have three lube grooves and a crimp groove near the nose.    I was thinking I could do the same and see if it helps accuracy.  So....I loaded 10, crimped on the upper lube groove, and they fit the cylinder fine with room to spare.

Before I blow myself up tomorrow....what do you think???
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Have you ever crimped a cast bullet on the lube groove???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
No problem, as long as you're not cramming it into the rifling, which you wouldn't be doing anyway in a revolver.  I cast some 30 caliber bullets and run them through my AR-15 in 300 Whisper and crimp into the the last grease grove just so the bullets fill the magazine.

Just make sure you don't have grease exposed so that you won't collect pocket lint and other junk on the bullet groove.  Very little chance of "blowing yourself up", and very little chance of "hangfires" in a pistol cartridge from too little powder in the case.

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »
I shoot downloaded wadcutters (2 lube grooves) in 357 cases. I found accuracy improved when I seated them long and crimped them in the first lube groove.
You can seat bullets for a longer OAL, it's when you push them deeper into the case that gets you in trouble.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
Thanks Guys!  That's kinda what I was thinking! 

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 02:14:17 AM »
i do it often. I had a 458 #1 that had such a long throat that some cast bullets were seated to the second lube grove.
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:07:05 AM »
Thanks again LLoyd....If I crimp on the top lubs groove there's still plenty of room in the cylinder.  I think the overall length changes by quite a bit.....1.33 when crimped on the crimp groove to 1.65 on the 1st lube groove.