Author Topic: Glock 357 Magnum  (Read 15480 times)

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Glock 357 Magnum
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
Dee......my wife innsist on having her Hi Power which is in 9mm.  After doing research I was convinced that a light (124gr. Hydra Shok) is a better man stopper than the heavier 147 gr bullet of the same design.  I would appreciate you opinion on the subject.  Also, I carry a .40 S&W.  What gr. bullet do you consider the best for self defense.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »
A hard question FPH. I have a friend whose brother in law put 4 41 mags thru the chest of a villain while the villain was pounding away on him with a night stick. Every time the 41 went off, other officers running to assist said goose down from the villain's vest came out the back, but he kept swingin the stick. By the time they got him off the officer, and cuffed, he was dead. Coroner said any one of the 4 was fatal.
I would go with the 147 grainers, and the Hi-Power as far as point ability, and reliability is as good as a single action auto gets. Especially if she can hit with it. Big bores are not for everyone. My wife and 80 year old mother both carry Smith light weight 38 specials. 125 grain JHP +p.
For the 40 S&W I carry Federal 180 grain FMJ FN. I am more interested in the "wide face" of the bullet which will deliver good energy, and will bite into bone even when not hit in the middle of the bone, but on the edge. I carry alternately a Glock 27 or 23 both with Tru-Glo TFO sights.
As far as the BEST for self defense at room distances I chose a shotgun. At home or in the car (travelling), a Remington 1100 I have customized with rifle sights, screw-in chokes and flat black finish. I DO NOT recommend 3" mags but instead 2 3/4" MAGNUM # 4 BUCK as they will more reliably clear the ejection port, and I like the gas operation for less recoil and followup shots. I used this same shotgun and setup for hard entries on SWAT, and search warrants with a 7 round extension.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
Dee.....thanks for your reply. My decision to use the lighter wt. 9mm had come from an article by Rick Skelton (sp) I believe.  My 81 year old Mom carries a S&W  w/ + P rounds also.  I gave her the pick of my handguns and the the 686 is the one she felt most comfortable with.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2019, 05:06:03 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!