Author Topic: ??’s on reloading the full power 10mm  (Read 411 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
??’s on reloading the full power 10mm
« on: April 10, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »
I’ve had a glock 20SF in 10mm for a while now.  I really like the gun, but working up a “full power” 10mm load has been a little more involved than what I’m used to.  Normally for me, I still within the rules of the reloading books and I don’t try to push the limits.  However, in this case I was really struggling to find “full” power 200gr load data, so I just worked some up.  I can’t see a point in having a 10mm and not using full power loads, otherwise it’s just be a glorified 40, so full power is important.

The components I used:
Starline brass
Winchester Large Pistol Primers
Hornady 200gr JHP XTP’s
Bluedot Powder

I used starline, because it has a reputation for being good, the Winchester primers would tell me about too much pressure sooner since they’re softer, the hornady bullets are about as good as it gets for a jacketed hollow point, the bluedot powder according to what info I could find would get me all the way into full power range safely.

*Disclaimer: Don’t do this.  Nobody is responsible for you actions or your safety other that you.  Don’t do this, it may not work in your gun and you could get yourself or others hurt.  Moderators, if the following load data is a no-no on this forum please remove it.

Anyway, now that I’m not as worried about getting sued or mods ticked at me, I started loading the blue dot at 7.9 and going up in .3 grain increments inspecting every piece of brass as it was fired.  For example 7.9, 8.2, 8.5, 8.8, etc.  I went all the way up to 12.1 before I got an excessively flattened primer, and at the same time the unsupported part of the chamber where the bullets are fed into started to leave the smallest impression on the brass.

So I know for sure that 12.1 and up is walking a very narrow line between a fun time shooting at the range, and a bad time at the emergency room.  I don’t plan on ever shooting any ammo that hot again, but now I run into the dilemma, of where should I load it to.  12.1 or higher is out of the question.  The 11.8 was safe, but I’m going to be reloading on a progressive press so it’s about tolerances and not finite measurements.  It’s not going to be a perfect 11.8 every time, so unless anyone here has a good reason why I shouldn’t, my full power 200gr JHP load is going to be 11.5gr of bluedot.  That’s above published data, and below pressure signs.

What do you all think?

Offline Savage

Re: ??’s on reloading the full power 10mm
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:28 AM »
I think you're in dangerous territory. Without strain equipment to check pressures, you have no clue as to pressure levels. You may get away with overloading for a while, but sooner or later you'll have an "Event" to remember. Visual pressure signs are unreliable until extreme pressure levels are reached. If you want something more powerful than a max loaded 10mm, try one of the mag pistol cartridges. Hope you have a chrono. Frequently you find extreme pressure increases without significant velocity increases. Good luck.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:19 AM »
Teddy:  You are NOT within the limits of the loading manuals.  My Speer 12th edition manual shows a small range of Blue Dot powder with the 200 gn bullet in the 10mm and that is from 9 gns to 10 gns, max.  At 12.1 you are way over charge and in dangerous territory and I agree with Savage. 

I don't know what you think is a full power load in the 10mm with the 200 gn bullet but two ammo makers list 1200'/sec as a max velocity, and if you want 1200'/sec you can attain that with 14 gns of AA#9 according to my Speer Manual.  The minimum load with that powder (AA#9) is 12.5 gns for 1080'/sec. 

I would seriously, and immediately back off on your powder charge.  I also wonder if Blue Dot is the best choice for the 10mm.  I remember using Blue Dot for some metallic silhouette competetions and hearing other shooters complain about inconsistent accuracy and velocity results using that powder in colder weather.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:41:40 AM »
I appreciate the help guys. 

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:04:36 AM »
According to my notes, 10.0g of BD and a 200g produces 31.8KPSI, 11.0 produces 42.2KPSI, extrapolation from that shows 12.1g to produce about 55-57KPSI. You are in proof load territory and I would back down from there by a great margin if I were you.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline ronben

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »
I had a glock 20 years ago.  My full power load was 9.5 gr blue dot with the 200 xtp.  It shot right at 1200 and shot well.  Before i didn't know about glocks and cast I went thru a lot of 200 gr. cast over aa7 with a mid level load. They hit at the same point of aim.  Knowing what I know now, I think I would explore aa9 as an alternative to the blue dot.  I never quite liked the feel of the gun though.  I'd like to try sf frame sometime.