Author Topic: Pa rules ang regs reguarding cannons and morters  (Read 1373 times)

Offline porta mill

• Trade Count: (0)
Pa rules ang regs reguarding cannons and morters
« on: March 31, 2011, 05:21:38 PM »
 I am new to the forum . Does anyone know the rules and regs in Pa regrading black powder cannons, mortars ? I am a machines and welder by trade and a mussel loader hunter . I have been toying with the idea of building a golf ball cannon or mortar as a new project. I have no need to lob a golf ball hundreds of yards or shoot one through a brick wall . Just a toy.  Any help would be help full. Thank you .

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Pa rules ang regs reguarding cannons and morters
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
a mussel loader,  man it must be hard to get those shell fish down the bore.  welcome to the board,  i know nots of cannon owners in pa so i dont think you will have a problem,  seems like pa is  a gun and 4 wheeler friendly state,  tho i still cant get over the confusing turnpikes and road signs.

rick bryan

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »
You need to contact the Pennsylvania State Attorney General  preferably in writing for a legal opinon on cannon ownership.  We can help you with everything else.

Go to our reference sticky at the top of the board and you will find several links to  golf ball cannons and mortars.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »
You need to contact the Pennsylvania State Attorney General preferably in writing for a legal opinon on cannon ownership. 

BINGO!  Get the information from the PA AG, that way there is no question. 

RRA wrote:

a mussel loader,  man it must be hard to get those shell fish down the bore.

Maybe he gets them drunk.  You know, a little olive oil in the pan, some chopped shallots, add the clean mussels, some pinot grigio, a squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper, pop the lid on the pan, remove when the mussels open, reduce the sauce by half and pour over the mussels.  Don't forget the nice crusty bread to sop up the juices.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:47:01 AM »
porta mill -

WELCOME to the board!  You've gotten good advice on where and how to check the laws.

Don't sweat the spelling - some of us do, some don't  (some of us can't type either).  If it gets in the way, someone will ask.

Where in PA?  My Dad grew up in Philly and his Dad retired to Allentown.  LOTS of distance relatives SW of Philly.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline porta mill

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »
Ok the joke is on me . I admit I am not  the greatest at spelling sorry . Usually spell check is my best friend but I missed the correction. located in northeast Pa. Northeast of Scranton.Besides the ball busting thank you for your help.

Online Double D

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 02:32:42 AM »
You guys are a bit rough on the new guy....better watch your spell checkers real close for a while.....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 05:17:53 AM »
You guys are a bit rough on the new guy....better watch your spell checkers real close for a while.....

and maybe your typing - proofreading skills too ?

;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »

and maybe your typing - proofreading skills too ?

;D

I'm good.  I ever tyop! 

I think I should add that it might be a good idea to check with your local DA too.  I know that here in CA the CA DOJ might say something is fine, but the county DA will give you grief about it.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:42:32 AM »
Ok the joke is on me . I admit I am not  the greatest at spelling sorry . Usually spell check is my best friend but I missed the correction. located in northeast Pa. Northeast of Scranton.Besides the ball busting thank you for your help.

Welcome aboard, porta mill. I'm almost certain that nobody meant to laugh at you; I think that the real intent was to laugh with you. That being said, don't let anyone con you, because if you had tuned in here before we got the spell check feature, you might have been the one that was rolling on the floor from laughter! ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
 Pa. is very friendly . There are dozens of us that own cannons and build cannons hear . Most restrictive part would deal with powder storage and quanities and city or community noise restrictions.

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
yah...don't mind the ribbing...heck, they won't even let me post a picture of Paris here! :-X

welcome.........
"MORE booze!"

Offline porta mill

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
Thank you for the info .I will try my best to make sure I spell everything correctly tonight . I am thinking of building a small golf ball cannon / mortar not sure exactally which one will be first thinking a very small one first to make sure my design works before I spend alot of lathe time building a bigger one. Are there any shoots coming up any time soon in Northeast Pa? I would like to see some designs and one in action before I build. Thank you your missspelling new member!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online Double D

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
Where you at in NE PA?

I am headed to Allentown abouth the 11th and No. 24 likes to meet folks from the board

Offline porta mill

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »
Just out side Tunkhannock .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 01:28:12 AM »
Just out side Tunkhannock .

Dirven through there on Rt 6 going  from Iowa to Vermont several times.  But that was before I-80 was built.  You're close to the shoot on the 16th if you schedule allows.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline porta mill

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 04:09:39 AM »
where is the shoot on the 16 located.

Online Double D

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »
The shoot on the 16th is the  British  Militaria shot for rifles.  Not cannons...well maybe not cannons.  There might be one or three there.  But it is for  British rifles  Martini's and Snider as well as all the Muzzle loaders.  Here is a link. http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/11127/2011-Mid-Atlantic-Fun-Shoot-and-IMA-Field-Trip-April-16-2011.  We are getting some sponsorship form IMA.  During the tour of the IMA facilities I hope to get some pictures of the cannons and mortars they have.

If you have one of those rifles bring it and we will put you on the line and you can shoot.  Be sure to read the whole thread as an RSVP is required for the shoot and dinner.

Oh yes  No. 24 will be there to greet you if you come.

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
 Hey,  DD, Allentowns way south of him  . He is up the turnpike RT 476 about 1 1/2 hrs .
 Porta mill I'm at the jct. of I80 and I81 just north of Hazleton. Only real good shoots in our area are sponsored by the American Artillery Assoc. any period Muzzleloading, any scale, unlimited shooting .Most events in New England some 20 miles south of Albany NY . 3 1/2 hrs from me towing should be hour closer for you. These are projectial shoots at one and two hundred yards.
 And DD you or any member are welcome by if your traveling my way . I just finished re-shrinking and repairing  apair of mtn. wheels for another gunner in Mount Pocono and have a fullscale 12pdr mortar bed in for reconditioning I build about 8 years ago .

Offline robbob

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 06:28:06 AM »
Hey,  DD, Allentowns way south of him  . He is up the turnpike RT 476 about 1 1/2 hrs .
 Porta mill I'm at the jct. of I80 and I81 just north of Hazleton. Only real good shoots in our area are sponsored by the American Artillery Assoc. any period Muzzleloading, any scale, unlimited shooting .Most events in New England some 20 miles south of Albany NY . 3 1/2 hrs from me towing should be hour closer for you. These are projectial shoots at one and two hundred yards.
 And DD you or any member are welcome by if your traveling my way . I just finished re-shrinking and repairing  apair of mtn. wheels for another gunner in Mount Pocono and have a fullscale 12pdr mortar bed in for reconditioning I build about 8 years ago .

Howdy neighbor.  I'm in Williamsport.  Grew up in Mountaintop, parents still live there. 

Online Double D

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »

Tom, a bit of a chuckle there, way south, 1 1/2 hours---it further than that to the nearest wal-mart from Cut  Bank.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
Yes.  A matter of perspective.  Many places in New England where an hour and a half drive in ANY direction would put you into another state!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »
 Hello robbob, Yes  I'm just over the hill in Drums . Hey If your interested joining . Our CW unit keeps it two cannons in Williamsport at one of the members business . We do a couple school program in the northern tier every spring including Montoursville School . Always looking for help .
  Cat and DD your right on the perspective thats why I hate driveing west in Pa. feels like you don't  get anywhere.
 But on the regulations most are covered by the Federal laws and game laws dealing with muzzleloaders and blackpowder . I know some states in New England require ammo loaded with plastic baggie , some cannon transported covered or in enclosed trailers .

Offline robbob

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »
That sounds like it might be fun :D :D :D :D  Can you PM me some details?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline robbob

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 02:46:05 AM »
No, I meant this sounds fun...

Our CW unit keeps it two cannons in Williamsport at one of the members business . We do a couple school program in the northern tier every spring including Montoursville School . Always looking for help .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 05:06:50 AM »
I agree with BOTH!
 ;)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 05:10:59 AM »
 Hello! Robbob , Our unit info is at   www.thompsons-battery-c.org    or can give me a call at 570 788 2924.
                                                                                Happy Spring
                                                                                     Tom