Author Topic: Cleaning scope lenses  (Read 465 times)

Offline 59f100292

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning scope lenses
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
All of my fathers rifles have old scopes, which are now fairly dusty and grimmy - what can I do to clean the lens to make it less blurry with out scratchin the lens?

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Cleaning scope lenses
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
Buy a camera lens cleaning kit from a place like Adorama or B&H Photo.  A blower to remove dust, then a lens brush to further clean, followed by a lens pen that finishes the proccess.  Depending on how grimy they are, you may need lens cleaning fluid applied with a microfiber cloth to remove heavy grime before the final cleaning with the lens pen.  Same system I use on my $4000.00 camera lenses, and it works well.  Last thing you want to do is just rub them with a paper towel, as you risk damaging the coatings and scratching the glass.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline 336SC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cleaning scope lenses
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
After cleaning your lenses like Bigeasy suggested, just buy a Nikon or Leupold "lense pen" for seven or eight bucks and they'll be clear and bright when used according to the instructions.  They got a really soft brush on one
end and some kind of spongey thing with cleaning solution on the other end.  Really works on already semi-clean
lenses as a regular maintenance type procedure.
336SC
USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973.  NRA Life Member.  Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.