Author Topic: Off-center bullet seating  (Read 590 times)

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Off-center bullet seating
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
I am loading 458 Win Mag with 460 GC lead bullets.  I am using a Lee press with Lee dies. The finished rounds have a very slight case bulge from seating the bullet. The bulge is one-sided, and the rounds still chamber.  Do I need a flat point bullet seater stem? I am belling the case mouths enough, I think. I don't think it is a crimp-seating set up problem, but I am going to start crimping separately in the future.  Thanks for any and all help.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Off-center bullet seating
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
Before seating your bullet, measure the ID of the neck. Ideally, it should be about .002" or so smaller than the bullet diameter. I think you will find that there is a much larger difference. For one thing cast bullets are generally larger than jacked bullets, which will only aggravate your problem. Get a larger diameter expander ball, one that is about .003" smaller than the bullet diameter you are using. I think your "bulge" will go away. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 22popnsplat

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
You don't mention witch of the lee presses you are using , If you are loading on a single stage press you can use this method to help with this problem. Just barely start the bullet into the case and then bring the ram back up and turn the cartridge 180 degrees and push the bullet in a little more , turn the cartridge 90 degrees and push it in a little more , turn it 180 and finish seating . this will also reduce runout most any cartridge .

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »
Jeff, there is nothing 'wrong' with your reloads, your dies or your press.   It's likely your sizer is squeezing the case mouth down more than would be ideal but that is common with dies of any brand.    Virtually all case necks have a thin or soft side so, when we push a bullet into an excessively small neck, the weak side gives way and bulges; it's no big deal.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
I am using .459 bullets to take up some of the 458 throat problems, and to engage the rifling. I am going to the range tomorrow, I will see what the fired cases look like and go from there. Thanks for the replies, all have info.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff