Author Topic: 629S&W or Redhawk  (Read 1298 times)

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
629S&W or Redhawk
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »

Getting ready to make a decision on purchasing a 629 S&W or Redhawk. It will be in .44 mag with 4" barrel. This will be used for ccw and hunting. So let me know any experience you might have using either of these as a ccw.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 629S&W or Redhawk
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
I have Both, and they are big guns for ccw, but not undoable.  The 629 is a little lighter and more compact then the Redhawk, maybe a little nicer fit and finished.  The Ruger is a little stronger gun if you plan to shoot a steady diet of heavy loads, though the S&W's since the early 90's have had an "endurance package" update that works well in eliminating the reputation some earlier revolvers had of shooting loose.

The 4 inch barrel is fine for hunting at normal handgun ranges most deer are shot at.  You don't need a super hot heavy load for deer - I have killed quite a few with a 250 grain hard cast semi-wadcutter at about 1000fps, and 240 grain XTP's at 1200.  In my opinion, a good self defense round in this caliber would be a 240 grain soft cast lead hollowpoint at about 900 fps; controllable, and as powerful as a hot 45acp, or a full power factory 45lc.  Lot of guys like a shoulder holster when carrying a gun this size, especially if you are wearing a thin, dress belt.  I usually carry a couple speed strips in my pocket - a lot less bulky then round speed loaders, and almost as quick.  On the hip, I like a thick, heavy belt, and a pancake type holster to spread out and stabilize the weight.  I never found large frame revolvers comfortable in an inside the waist band holster.

Larry

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
Bigeasy,
Thanks for the info! Especially the defense and hunting loads.
I would be using the Simply Rugged pancake holster for the revolver.
What is your pick of the two for handling and accuracy?
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
If your criteria is a 4" then S&W.
Last time I looked Ruger was not making a 4" only 5.5" and 7.5" and I think 3" in the Alaskan models.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:33 AM »
+1 on the 629 4". Big Easy hit all the carry and load topics. You might also check out Buffalo Bores .44 special +P ammo.
held fast

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:49:48 AM »
Like Mccwoodduck said, the only way to a 4 inch Redhawk is to have a longer barrel model cut down.  Accuracy wise, my Redhawks and S&W N frames (I have six of em), are all pretty close, around 1 inch to 2 1/2 - 3 at 25 yards, depending on the load.  My 4 inch 629 is a later model with the lock and MIM parts, and is the most accurate 29 / 629 I own, as well as the tightest fit.  I have long barreled Smiths and a Redhawk with scopes that are more accurate at longer ranges (mainly because of the optics), but they are not practical carry guns.

I would go with a 629 for what you are looking for.  As when buying any revolver, new or used, handle the gun first, make sure it feels good to you.  Check the timing, make sure it locks up tight, has minimal end shake, and an even cylinder gap at about .003 to .006 or so.  If you don't reload, Cheaper then Dirt has BVAC .44 spl ammo (240 grain cast at 800 fps, loaded in new Starline cases)  for $22.00 a box of 50, and is excellent practice / small game ammo.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM4980-1.html

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline LocnLod

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
Ruger's website still shows a 4.2" 44 and 45 redhawk.

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Ruger's website still shows a 4.2" 44 and 45 redhawk.

Dang, they do..  Used to be 5.5 was the shortest.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
WOW just went to the Ruger Website.
Saw they have a 4.2.
The Question I have is why when you change from 44 to 45 the grip angle changes? 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
SMITH
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
Thanks Guys!
I think I will be going with the S&W Mod 629-4". I do reload so I can design specific loads for whatever I need. Probably will be buying two of these as one of my sons decided he needs one!
Might even go ahead and put Crimson Trace Laser grips on it! Juror is still out on that choice.
Getting ready to retire, so should have time to do what I really like! Also as mentioned in one of my earlier post, will be holstering it in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake setup.
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
Well I did it!
Just got through ordering two brand new spanking Mod 629`s!
My oldest son in Alaska decided he needed one too! Now to ge in touch with Simply Rugged and get my holsters ordered!
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America