Author Topic: OT comparison question  (Read 298 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
OT comparison question
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
I was looking at some TC Encores and I like the Katadhin (sp?) chambered in 500 S&W and want to know if any of you guys have a TC or have heard how they hold up. I've got a 500 Handi and I like it but the TC is real nice and I'm seriously considering getting one. What do you guys think of the two guns? Is one any better than the other or is it apples to apples?
Thanks.

Spanky

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: OT comparison question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:20:03 PM »
A good friend bought a Katadin in 45-70 when they first came out.

Its a nice gun and shot well enough, but in my humble opinion too expensive.

For less then its cost you could have a very, very nice handi built how ever you want.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »
Spanky,
  Stick with the Handi....A wise man once told me that the best thing about his Encore is that it funded a whole buncha new Handis after he sold it. I found this to be the case with my previous Encore venture. The sale funded the Stubby purchase. ;) I'm not looking back cause I sure don't miss my Encore.

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
Had an Encore with a 375 H&H rifle barrel and 7mm-08 pistol barrel, the rifle shot good with some improvements very similar to a Handi, trigger was 7½lbs when I got it, did a trigger job, floated the forend, it also had way more headspace than I liked also which I eliminated with a false shoulder to headspace on before I even shot it. Never did shoot the pistol barrel, sold/traded everything and never looked back, in fact I traded the rifle barrel for my second 35 Whelen Hand ;D. The biggest advantages of the Encore are great aftermarket support, pistol capability and it's available in magnum chamberings.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ssjohnnie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »
Well here is my two cents I think the Encore is a much better gun than a Handi But it do cost alot more but they shoot a lot more consetant without a lot of fiddiing with better trigger better fit and finish better customer service but I am a T/C fan and like they say you get what you pay for (well most of the time) but I also have a few baikals that shoot like alot  better that some more costly guns in the end its what you want and what you want to pay........... ;) ;) ;)