Author Topic: Any Handis in Anchorage or Fairbanks, AK?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Any Handis in Anchorage or Fairbanks, AK?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »
Be careful if the Great Alaskan Bush Company is still in Anchorage!!
I heard that the building they were in downtown burned down.  They've got a website up, or did, anyway.  We managed to find ourselves down there one night, they had Hamm's beer for a buck a can.  Cheapest drinking in Anchorage!  Anyhow, my crew chief, a short, round, bald headed guy, was sitting in a chair at the stage, where they had a place where you could put an ash tray and a drink.  The top edge was padded, and if you creased a buck, the gals would pick it up in "less than conventional ways".....Bobby's head started bobbing back and forth, then finally settled down, and stopped, so we creased a five and put it on his shiny head.  Gal came over, and picked it up without using her hands, and about then, Bobby opened his eyes, looked up, right past Christmas and straight into the New Year........at which point, he went a$$ over teakettle with the chair on top of him.  Didn't spill a drop of his drink.  Darnedest thing I ever DID see!!!
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
Dinny:  Just got home.  I spent the last couple of days at Fairbanks Memorial getting a stint repaired.  Told the Cardiologist I was there for warrenty work.  One of the stints I got last September had collapsed.  They did a cath and was able to expand it back to the size needed then put a second one inside it. 

Do you have transportation to Ft WW from the Air Port?  I guess you have reservations on Post in Billiting.  Let me know and I can meet you at the Air Port in Fairbanks.  What time are you coming in?  I'll meet you anyway.  As for good places to eat we have a few.  Be prepared, we have a lot of ice right now everywhere.  Most of the roads are clear, but the parking lots and sidewalks are slick.  Temps are running in the mid to high 30s during the day.  Down in the teens at night.

Rog

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »
Rog,
   I would enjoy meeting you! I have a rental car reserved and plan to stay at the Hampton Inn. We'll arrive at 19:54 on a connecting flight from Anchorage.  I can PM you my cell phone number if you like.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
Will you be arriving Sunday evening the 3rd, or Monday evening the 4th?   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:45 AM »
Will you be arriving Sunday evening the 3rd, or Monday evening the 4th?

Sunday the 3rd.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Darreld Walton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
You don't want to miss the "gun bar" at the Elmendorf/Ft. Rich Base Exchange.  Besides, the class VI store is right there......
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
You don't want to miss the "gun bar" at the Elmendorf/Ft. Rich Base Exchange.  Besides, the class VI store is right there......

I heard a story about an old-timer that sells guns at the Exchange. He tells the new gun owners to file the front sight off of their bear defense pistols. Says it's less painful to pull out of their third point-of-impact after the bear shoves it up there. ;D ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »
Alaska is a beautiful piece of God's Country! I'm staying across the street from a Sportman's Warehouse and will look for Handis tomorrow.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Darreld Walton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 03:39:59 AM »

I heard a story about an old-timer that sells guns at the Exchange. He tells the new gun owners to file the front sight off of their bear defense pistols. Says it's less painful to pull out of their third point-of-impact after the bear shoves it up there. ;D ;D

Thanks, Dinny
A young man, an admitted and practicing atheist, was walking through the forest next to a stream.  The light was streaming through the cover, the stream, full of crisp, clean water was burbling next to him, the birds singing their beautiful songs, life was good.
He heard a rustle in the brush, and out charged a very large, and hungry Grizzly bear, who charged the young man, stood up in front of him, raised his mighty paw to strike, at which point, the young man blurted out "please, dear God, save me", at which point, everything around him froze in time.  A voice came through the cover, and said "all your life you have denied my existence, and exhorted others to believe as you do, do you now acknowledge My existence"?
The young man hit his knees, bowed his head, and said "it's true that I've denied You, and now that Your presence is known to me to be true, I must declare it so, but as I've gone all through my life denying you, it would be wrong of me to now ask for You to save my life.  If You would grant me one thing, I would ask that You would make this great creature treat me as a Christian would".
The voice replied, "as you request, it shall be made so".
The stream started running again, the breeze blew, the birds resumed their song, and the Grizzly bear stood up straight, raised it's other paw, put them together, and drew them to his chest, bowed his head, and said "Lord, for this meal that I am about to receive, I am truly grateful".....................  ;)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 05:28:34 PM »
and the Grizzly bear stood up straight, raised it's other paw, put them together, and drew them to his chest, bowed his head, and said "Lord, for this meal that I am about to receive, I am truly grateful".....................  ;)

This is the part when I would have run like Forrest Gump and never looked back..... ;D ;D

Great Story!!

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dan71

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
I finally get my chance to visit the beautiful state of Alaska!!! I'm going to Fairbanks (Ft Wainwright) in early April.

Thanks, Dinny

I have a Brother-in-law stationed up there. Enjoy yourself, one of these days Im taking some leave to head up there myself.
"It's Gods job to judge the terrorists...
It's our job to arrange the meeting".

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of all who Threaten it.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
I had a wonderful time while I was in Alaska! I didn't find many Handi rifles, but I did find friendly people. I made a new friend in Fairbanks named Rog Hunter aka Sourdough. A finer person, there isn't!! He treated my soldier and I to lunch, drove us to an oil pipeline tourist attraction, paid our way into the Fairbanks Museum and saw that we found our way to the airport later that afternoon when it was time for us to leave.

Thanks Rog!!

I look forward to the day when we meet again.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
Dinny, I bet you had a very interesting time with Rog (Sourdough). You are very lucky to be able to experience this and I'm sure many other great times. Enjoy all you can as it goes by quickly. 

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
BV,
  You're absolutely right! I've had some rough days in my line of work, but these days cancel them all out and make it all worth it. That will be my last trip for a good while. Once I leave my current duty station in June, I won't do much traveling. I'm real glad I had the opportunity to travel to Alaska, it is a beautiful state.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
My only regret is that you were not here during the summer.Rog
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »
My only regret is that you were not here during the summer.Rog

You know what they say, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil." Sooner or later the Army is gonna realize they "need me in AK". ;) ;D Then I'll get to spend at least 3 summers there. :)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine