Author Topic: sea coast i have a question.  (Read 700 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
sea coast i have a question.
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:09 AM »
  can we see a pic of your Eccentric Axle before it was put into the carriage??  I understand what they are spose to look like but never seen yours indetail outside the carriage where all of it is visable?    I will have to build one for the rear of my carriage i am building  and i had a question about the counter hurters in this pic. i fyou can better explan how they work?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/BrookeRifle.jpg/300px-BrookeRifle.jpg    I have looked at it in the prints but guess i would have thought it would bind up on the wood and not very well. 

rick bryan

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: sea coast i have a question.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:54:26 AM »
     Rick,    We don't have time to disassemble the wheels and axle today on our 100 Pdr. Parrott to get those pics, but at lunchtime I can draw an accurate drawing of the axle with a description of how it works.  The 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle  does not use any eccentric axles, so we don't have any lying around.

I squinted for quite a while and even put my magnifier on over my glasses and could not make out enough detail to figure out how the counter-hurter in that photo works. 

Back to it!

Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »
Here's a bigger copy, click on the pic for full size.
http://imgur.com/8YT0e
A different one.
http://imgur.com/924Ci
Or this.
http://imgur.com/bu1Qj

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
Here is an eccentric axle.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »
Rick,  Here is the set up I used.  Take two larger diameter pieces of round stock that fit holes in your carriage to make the rotation drums.  Drill an offset hole in the round stock for the axle level and weld the assembly.  When the drum is rotated the axle will raise and lower.  Add stops, wheels, and lever hub.  [Position the stops so the axle rotates past the 6 oclock position and the weight of the carriage will prevent the assembly from dropping.]  The lever hub is attached to the tip of the axle outside of the wheel.  You have to calculate the axle so it clears in the up position and engages in the lower position.  Diagram attached.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:55 PM »
Here's a bigger copy, click on the pic for full size.
http://imgur.com/8YT0e

That is a very good looking carriage. No metal trunnion sockets/boxes and no paint. beautiful workmanship. English pattern?

There are several eccentrics here on this board ;D
Max

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »
     There you go, Rick.  Dom's drawing explains the way it works perfectly.  On a seacoast artillery piece, the short, wheel- bearing  axle which protrudes from the larger axle which goes through the carriage cheeks, is just a little bit smaller than the lengthy, cheek axle or hub as he calls it.  The photo below shows what an eccentric axle used on an 1859, Iron, Seacoast, Center-Pintle, Barbette, Carriage looks like before the ends are turned off, two scale dimples, only .040" apart (1/6th of .240" on the original axles) are added and the slots are cut for the keys that holds the wheels on.  Then the hex-shaped end cuts are made to fit the iron, hand-spike, wrench combination.

As far as the compression brake goes, those photos and drawing thoughtfully provided by Soot pretty much show how that works.  Even the wooden shoe is visible just above the bottom bar on the clamp hardware.  It binds the securely bolted, rail extension piece to the sliding upper carriage transom.

Tracy & Mike

The left hand axle is in the position to have it's wheels engaged with the Chassis rails, ready for the carriage's 'return to battery'. 

The position of the axle on the right is correct for firing the gun, the wheels are retracted up off of the rails and the entire bottom of the left and right cheeks bear on the Chassis rails, in position so maximum friction is caused during firing which stops the carriage's rearward movement within the allotted distance.

P.S.   Double D., sure looks like a 'Crank' to me.  And, you are getting this observation from a 'cranky eccentric', who should know a 'crank' when he sees one!      Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:02:32 PM »

P.S.   Double D., sure looks like a 'Crank' to me.  And, you are getting this observation from a 'cranky eccentric', who should know a 'crank' when he sees one!      Tracy

That is an eccentric axle for a standard wheel and not a eccentric wheel that goes on a straight axle.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
crankshaft to an small model airplane engine  , or ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
crankshaft to an small model airplane engine  , or ??

Like I said eccentric axle for a single wheel and isn't much different than what Dom.  His is a double Wheel.