Author Topic: bullet casting with pellet lead  (Read 649 times)

Offline kimark

• Trade Count: (0)
bullet casting with pellet lead
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
I don't cast any bullets at this time but am getting a 357 fitted to my Handi and may start.  Was wondering if anyone out there is casting bullets from pellet lead or if it is even feasible?  I rebuilt a Crosman 140 I had as a kid a couple of years ago and have gottin' into pellet guns and have about 7 lbs of pellet lead that I've recovered from my trap over the last few years.  Was hoping maybe to get some use out of it.  Thanks

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: bullet casting with pellet lead
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
I would imagine it might be a little soft by its self, I would think they would be pure lead, and you would need to add some alloy to harden it up a little for 357 loads, but that should not be a problem.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »
Lead is lead.  Add some 50/50 solder to harden it a bit and it should be fine.  Just size to fit your bore and you should have little if any leading.  Leading occurs when the gases bypass the bullet and cut it, due to it's not sealing to the bore of the gun.  Since I don't know how hard pellet lead is, you will most likely have to experiment a little.

Wheelweight lead is fine as is for most applications.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
Pellet lead is indeed soft lead, I've been using it for b/p casting for a few years.  I use the pellet guns for practice and go through a about a can a month during the non hunting months so I've got plenty of recovered lead to keep me busy.