Author Topic: Go to press  (Read 2045 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Go to press
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:04:10 AM »
What is your go to press?
I have 3 presses on my bench, A 40 year old Pacific power C that I started out with, A Hornady LNL, and The Redding Big Boss.
It seems the 40-year-old Pacific gets the most use.
Nothing wrong with the LNL, other than the price of Shell plates, and other than 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45ACP. I don’t load enough of the other pistol to justify the cost of extra shell plates.
The Boss is a great press for Magnum Rifle. But years of using a C – press, I have a rhythm down, and the smaller rifle and pistol, I am not set up for on the LNL, just go faster on the Pacific.   

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Go to press
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:51:32 AM »
I usually go to the one that is set up with the dies I need.
I've got 5 set up with my normal calibers.
Progressives for high volume.
Single stage for rifle rounds.
If not my old Rock Crusher usually gets first try.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:00:35 AM »
I have one press, so it's easy.
 My little RCBS Partner loads all my rifle stuff up too and including 30-06 just fine. I've actually been strickin with the desire to get a second press a few times but to date I've been able to beat that desire down with logic. Well not really logic, it's sometimes a real battle when I see a progressive on sale,, but so far I'm staying strong,,  ;D
found elsewhere

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
I use all my presses, depending on the job to be done. Progressives for the common stuff that I shoot the most, single stage for swagging primer pockets or special operations, turret for most every thing else. Each one does it's specific job better than the others.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:49:22 PM »
  Mine would be my old 3 hole Lee turret press.  Used if for years without any problems.

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 07:10:26 AM »
  Mine would be my old 3 hole Lee turret press.  Used if for years without any problems.

+1
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »
ive got Ive got 8 presses and use them all but id have to say the go to press in my shop would be the tried and true 550 dillon. How could any handloader be without one?
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
 I have or have had most every press. I really like my old Pacific, RCBS Rock chuck-er, Dillon 550 and RCBS Ammo Master and, hold on to your shorts... The little pot metal LEE bench press. many of you know I am NO Lee fan! But I use it with a ram prime unit. It's small, takes little space is is plenty strong to seat primers. I currently use the Ammo Master most often.

I disliked the Lyman turret. It flexed too much when FL resizing big cases.

I have loaded many many thousands of rounds on a Spartan "T" press.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:02:34 PM »
Had an rcbs rock chucker now a Lyman orange crusher both are single stage presses but that suits me fine for now.

Offline shot1

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
I have an old Pacific single stage that I use all the time but have a RCBS Jr. in the bull pin.  ;D

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »
I have a "Chucker, Lyman Spar-T and two Lee Reloader presses.   I 'go to' the one that's best suited for what I wish to do.  ??
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »
I have a Lee Loader in 38/357 that I used on the kitchen table and when visiting the in-laws.  I have loaded thousands of rounds with it. 

In 1968 the Lee Loader was retired except when making the two week visit to the in-laws.  I purchased a Lyman Spar-T turret press.  It is still in use and primarily used for loading handgun rounds.  At the same time I was give a Lyman Jr. turret press and some other reloading tools.  I kept the Lyman 55 powder measure and gave the Lyman Jr. press to my best buddy.

In the last few years I purchased a Lyman T-Mag II press.  I is an improvement over the old Spar-T when it comes to loading rifle rounds.  It offers better leverage for the aging reloader. 
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000157040781

I am considering purchasing a second die head for the T-Mag II.  The only reason it is in the consideration box is changing dies on either press is not difficult.  But every once while a sweet spot is found in a die setup and I hate to change the dies.  The Spar-T is currently turning out quality 9MM ammunition.  I am getting the itch to load some 38/357 rounds, it would be nice to switch heads on the T-Mag and be ready to load.

But a less costly option is to take advantage of the open stations on the two presses.  I have a carbide 3-die set for the 38/357.  I can easily place the carbide sizing die in the Mag-T press and the #2 Expander-Decapping die along with the #3 Seating and Crimping Dies in the Spar-T press.  A Carbide, 4-die set currently occupies four of the six stations in the Spar-T press.

Many times I have the T-Mag II setup for two different rifle calibers along with the Lee decapping die.

When I purchased the Spar-T kit it came with an auto primer with a small primer tube, and a large primer tube.  I used it a lot but use a Lee Hand primer now days, I consider it safer.

I have the Lyman 7/8 x 14 adapter to mount one of my Lyman 55 Powder measures in the turret but use a separate stand for the powder measure. 

Forty years ago I meet a gentleman who “was” a major commercial reloader.  Before his accident I use to purchase some of his loads because the price was right, they were good, and I was short of spare time.  His business “was” good and he would deliver a few hundred boxes of ammunition to different shops at a time.  He had a primer tube explode resulting in the loss of an eye, major damage to his face, chest, and an arm. 

I have mangled a few primers using the Lyman Primer without setting one off, but I have also thought about having one go off with a 50-primer tube setting above it, creating a chain reaction involving the  Lyman 55 powder measure setting next to it on the turret. 

I am not out to ignite the owners of progressive loaders.  I suspect there has been a lot of improvements in the last forty years.  And I do not know if human error was a factor in the reloader’s accident.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
Have a dillon, rockchucker and lee classic cast. I load mostly pistol ammo on the dillon but do not use the primer feed. All the cases are primed prior to being put in the dillon. The rockchucker does most of the rifle ammo (cast bullets) and the lee is also used. Frank

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:30 AM »
My maine press is a Old Bonnanza single stage aka forster sells the same press now and owns the bonnanza name now. It's by far the fastest single stage press as far as die changes go, spring loaded universal shell holders. It's a good press. I also have a dilllon 450 aka a manual 550, I use for any bulk ammo I need to load. i also have a hollywood gunshop 12 station turret press that I've never used I guess the only reason why I keep it around is it does nothing but gain in value. (just a little soemthing to go along with retirement lol I have a ways to go)

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 06:33:28 AM »

The Hollywood 12 station press is a real attention getter.  I did a little research and found this item.

http://www.hevanet.com/temple/Hollywood.html

Found this one that sold one ebay.  Old with some rust and still sold for $787.79. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
I have two presses, a Rock Crusher with a universal decapping die and a Redding T7. I also use the RC for pulling bullets.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »
Dillon 550B, Rockchucker & a Lee. Lee is used for decapping only. Dillon for pistol & 7.63X39. Rockchucker for all other bottlenecks.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
Seems like I go to the Green one in the background a lot just used it today to pull a bunch of bullets.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 10:48:17 AM »

The Hollywood 12 station press is a real attention getter.  I did a little research and found this item.

Yeah it is uniquie for sure. The last one I hae heard of getting sold that was identical to this one went for about $1700 course finding someone to pay that for it is far and few between, I just hope to run into one someday. Here is a pic.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
i have #3 set up lyman S/T turet they must be 30years old work great
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
I inherited a Lyman all american turret press in 1972.  I think it was built in the 60's.  I have used it steadily since then.  When I was home last winter I loaded 600 rifle cartridges of varios calibers to take to my hunting lodge in Uruguay.  I buy the now obsolete Lyman "J" shell holders on ebay whenever I find myself with a new caliber rifle.  That old press is 50 tears old and works great.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
I only have ever had one: RCBS Rockchucker.

I always wished I had a Lyman though, wanted the orange one for twenty years
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
When I want to load most of my pistol ammo, I go to my Dillion 550. When I want to load my rifle or serious pistol stuff,(.445sm, .375sm, .44mag., .357mag.,) I go to my Redding T-7 turret press. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline 4296

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
Redding for heavy duty resizing-Rockchuckers for everything else....

http://i53.tinypic.com/1256mo3.jpg

Offline M'issippi Bruce

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
only have room for one so the AmmoMaster gets the most calls - thinking of building a truck-bed bench and putting the old, small RCBS on it for use at the range

Offline uncyboo

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
2 RockChuckers. One bought in the early 80's and another used one in 2000. Many thousands of rounds put through these. My grandkids will probably be using these 50 years from now.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:32 AM »
I started with the old RCBS Junior (steel version) and it lasted me for several years.  After that, I had a Lyman Crusher II.  I wasn't impressed with that one.  Now I use a Lee Classic Cast press most of the time, and I expect that I'll use this one for the rest of my loading days (and nights).  I may try a Lee Classic Turret model though.  I just need to see a friend actually using one before I lay out the cash for one.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 06:48:23 AM »
  Of all the presses i own, i keep two on my main loading bench,

Of those two, i use the CO-AX the most.

DM